Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white collar mma

Options
  • 17-12-2015 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Im thinking of taking part in a white collar mma event next march in the red cow hotel and im unsure whether it is a good idea or not.I done a bit of kickboxing and tae kwon do when i was younger and always had an interest in mixed martial arts but never had the courage to get involved in mma.I dont want to sign up for this and then get my ass kicked when i get into the ring come fight night.
    I contacted the organisers on facebook and they told me there will be a professional referee, medics on standby and strict rules which will restrict head shots and no knees, elbows etc. but iv never tried mma before and im a little apprehensive.I know there are lots of experienced martial arts people that post here so what do you think, is it a good idea or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Who are the organizers?. And are they providing MMA training for the competitors?.

You might provide a link to their FB page too?.

Sorry there are so many questions about this.

I think a better idea (if you're interested in training MMA) is join a reputable MMA club with a view to competing in the MMA league (if its still about). And even if you don't compete the training is great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Who are the organizers?. And are they providing MMA training for the competitors?.

You might provide a link to their FB page too?.

Sorry there are so many questions about this.

I think a better idea (if you're interested in training MMA) is join a reputable MMA club with a view to competing in the MMA league (if its still about). And even if you don't compete the training is great craic.

The organisers involved usually organise K1 and mma shows but are doing this on a voluntary basis to raise funds for a charity organisation, the training is being done through an mma club based in Blanchardstown. They told me it will be 8 weeks training before fight night with at least 2 training sessions per week.It is something which iv always had an interest in doing but have been reluctant in the past.

Can you recommend a good mma club to go for a beginner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Can you recommend a good mma club to go for a beginner?

What area would you be talking about?.

Dublin is spoilt for choice when it comes to MMA clubs so if you can let us know roughly where you are the forum will point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,204 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They told me it will be 8 weeks training before fight night with at least 2 training sessions per week.
    That's not remotely enough training imo. Not even close.

I'm involved with an MMA TV show here in australia. Taking a group of beginners and trained them for an amateur fight. The training was 5 months, of 5 days a week. Mon-fri mornings 5:45 to 7:30. Around 100 sessions. Most people did additional training on top of that. Cardio, hill sprints etc. Maybe peaking at 8-10 sessions a week. The TV show just aired on Fox Sports last week.

And it's coming to Ireland very soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mellor wrote: »

I'm involved with an MMA TV show here in australia. Taking a group of beginners and trained them for an amateur fight. The training was 5 months, of 5 days a week. Mon-fri mornings 5:45 to 7:30. Around 100 sessions. Most people did additional training on top of that. Cardio, hill sprints etc. Maybe peaking at 8-10 sessions a week. The TV show just aired on Fox Sports last week.

Dying to see that man fair play.

On topic though I don't think mma suites a white collar event, exactly what you said that's just not enough training. Serious damage could be done to someone also, obviously that could happen in any fight but the idea of white collar mma events irk me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Any idea when?

ASOT wrote: »
    Dying to see that man fair play.
    They are looking into airing it in UK/Ireland, hopefully soon.

But I was also referring to the fact that there's the TV show is going to do an Irish Series very very soon.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any idea when?

The original series on Irish TV, I'm not 100% sure.

The new series taking place in Ireland. Early next year, around march. Registrations are open now. I should probably start a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

They are looking into airing it in UK/Ireland, hopefully soon.

But I was also referring to the fact that there's the TV show is going to do an Irish Series very very soon.

sign me up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

The original series on Irish TV, I'm not 100% sure.

The new series taking place in Ireland. Early next year, around march. Registrations are open now. I should probably start a thread.

Any chance of pming me a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

http://wimp2warrior.com/series/ireland/series-1/

I don't know anything else about it though!

Clive linked it above. I'll post a thread with more info over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Not a fan of White Collar shows. First and foremost, my experience with them (helped teach a few of them as a favour) is they're money rackets before anything else. As in, sure, some moneysis for charity, but certainly not all of it.

I think 2/3 sessions a week for 2 months is nowhere near enough time, even for a moderate contact no headshots event.

Quite a few of the people taking part had appreciable prior experience and should not have been taking part.

Another issue was the "hard men" taking part so they could say they had a "cage fight" (nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but I refer to a certain ilk), most of whom had no sel cpntrol at all (as in, within seconds in the ring they were throwing headshots and and COMPLETELY losing the head.

All in all, just not the most constructive way of promoting MMA in my view. A handful of honest contestants do have something to gain from it, but for the most part I think they're not the best ideas.

Go to an amateur event in the country to see some real skill and hard working talent in the right setting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Ah cool, we're doing that at SBG. Should be fun! I'm trying to twist a few arms to get an Irish broadcaster to pick it up, too. I reckon it's an easy sell, so we should see it on TV over here. Great concept. People are more relatable than athletes so anyone with a passing fascination in how they'd do with the kind of training required will get a great insight into a fighter's day to day training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It costs €1000 to enter the show.
    That's probably a good idea though. I reckon you'd get thousands of people applying now due to the popularity of McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

I was on the phone to the organisers, white collar mma Dublin, they said to pop down and have a chat with them so i mite go and talk with them and see what the story is, i will let you guys know how i get on

Clive wrote: »
    http://wimp2warrior.com/series/ireland/series-1/

I don't know anything else about it though!

Kinda rules out most of ireland so except Dublin as usual. If your not willing to travel to Dublin several times a week then there's no point entering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Kinda rules out most of ireland so except Dublin as usual. If your not willing to travel to Dublin several times a week then there's no point entering

except most of the people in the country live in Dublin

except most of the people in the country live in Dublin

Are you taking the piss?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

El Guapo! wrote: »
    It costs €1000 to enter the show.
    That's probably a good idea though. I reckon you'd get thousands of people applying now due to the popularity of McGregor.

It's essentially €45 a week for 6 - 7.5 hours training a week... I think that's pretty steep to be honest. You'd be much better served just joining a good gym as a member. Less than 100 people had applied before today. I don't see the number getting all that much higher once people see the cost involved.

I considered applying but because of my work I won't be in the country continuously between now and July so it's not worth considering for me.

It's that unexpected?

If you aren't willing (or able) to get to training several times a week you won't be ready to have ammy fight after 5/6 months.

No reason why they couldnt run it somewhere else if Dublin worked out.
    Just applied for this - When can we expect to hear?
    The UK series found out who got in this week, they start next month.
    I imagine there be a try outs in dublin in Jan, and then find out in Feb.
    It's essentially €45 a week for 6 - 7.5 hours training a week... I think that's pretty steep to be honest. You'd be much better served just joining a good gym as a member.
    If all your after the training sessions then a gym membership is probably cheaper. But there's an extra dynamic here imo. The fact there's a set fight night from the start makes it a lot more "real" compared to training at your own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It's essentially €45 a week for 6 - 7.5 hours training a week... I think that's pretty steep to be honest. You'd be much better served just joining a good gym as a member. Less than 100 people had applied before today. I don't see the number getting all that much higher once people see the cost involved.

I considered applying but because of my work I won't be in the country continuously between now and July so it's not worth considering for me.

It says the price includes access to sbg facilities so I presume that means you could train there outside the allotted times also. So it is essentially a membership too.

Plus it says it includes all training equipment and "uniform" (I take it this means a gi, rash guard, etc)

Then there's "guest instructors" included. So that'd be like a seminar that's included in the price.

And it includes nutritional advice online by Mike Dolce.

Add all that to the fact you'd be getting top notch training in sbg and I'd say it's worth spending the grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'm not sure how this effects anyone on here that's applying but it says they want people with little to no previous training or experience in any form of martial arts. So I'd say anyone that has or is attending regular Muay Thai, BJJ classes etc would not be accepted.

It's that unexpected?

If you aren't willing (or able) to get to training several times a week you won't be ready to have ammy fight after 5/6 months.

No reason why they couldnt run it somewhere else if Dublin worked out.
    Totally agree that you'd need to train 5/6 times a week. My only gripe was that it limits most of ireland from realistically taking part in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I find it hard to believe they will find 40 people with 1000 euro zero experience of martial arts and willing to train 5 days a week at the early hours of the morning,takes serious dedication and the body breaks down the first few months of training jiu jitsu alone is one the most humbling things you can do never mind every other discipline and strength training on top.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What's the policy on refunds? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It says the price includes access to sbg facilities so I presume that means you could train there outside the allotted times also. So it is essentially a membership too.

Plus it says it includes all training equipment and "uniform" (I take it this means a gi, rash guard, etc)

Then there's "guest instructors" included. So that'd be like a seminar that's included in the price.

Add all that to the fact you'd be getting top notch training in sbg and I'd say it's worth spending the grand.

That seals the deal for me!

Indicative only, as depends on local suppliers but what I got was;
    Rashguard, shorts, 16oz gloves, 4oz gloves, thai shin pads, head gear.

The guest instructors were Riche Walsh, Mark Hunt and Jens Pulver.
    The pilot season was Royve Gracie.
    Gamebred wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe they will find 40 people with 1000 euro zero experience of martial arts and willing to train 5 days a week at the early hours of the morning,takes serious dedication and the body breaks down the first few months of training jiu jitsu alone is one the most humbling things you can do never mind every other discipline and strength training on top.
    It's on season 4 in Sydney. I've seen first hand people willing to do it. But you are completely right about the dedication involved. It's huge and turns your life on its head for 6 months.

Here's a guy who did it last year. Started at 132kg, competed in the 77kg class (Welterweight)
    http://www.smh.com.au/comment/wimp-to-warrior-a-real-estate-agents-journey-from-obesity-to-mma-fighter-20150702-gi40r7.html

But not everyone who starts will make it through. Either through injury, or just quitting. At a guess, If 40 start, then only 24 could make it to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Indicative only, as depends on local suppliers but what I got was;
    Rashguard, shorts, 16oz gloves, 4oz gloves, thai shin pads, head gear.

The guest instructors were Riche Walsh, Mark Hunt and Jens Pulver.
    The pilot season was Royve Gracie.

It's on season 4 in Sydney. I've seen first hand people willing to do it. But you are completely right about the dedication involved. It's huge and turns your life on its head for 6 months.

Here's a guy who did it last year. Started at 132kg, competed in the 77kg class (Welterweight)
    http://www.smh.com.au/comment/wimp-to-warrior-a-real-estate-agents-journey-from-obesity-to-mma-fighter-20150702-gi40r7.html

But not everyone who starts will make it through. Either through injury, or just quitting. At a guess, If 40 start, then only 24 could make it to the end.

Some serious weight loss fair play to anyone who gave it a go completing it or not because joining is the hard part,I do double day training strength then boxing or jiu jitsu 5 days a week and my body does be broken down come thursday If its hard training even smart training tis still very tiring,and im not training for speicific competetion so this will be a huge challenge for anying doing it pyhsically and mentally I wish them luck.

Advertisement