Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which laptops to avoid?

Options
  • 17-12-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Looking for a laptop and was hoping that people could steer me away from the makes/models that are to be avoided. Also any tips on the model to go for would be good too!

Min spec of
    - Intel i5 or i7 - recent generation
    - 15" screen
    - 500GB+ Hybrid HD or SSD
    - 8GB+ RAM

For general purpose use;
    Some development, light Adobe CS work - no gaming requirements. Reasonable speakers would be good though
    The lighter the better and also that it runs quiet. Battery life not especially important.
    My usual opinion is that the disk is the bottleneck so a non-hybrid / SSD will be too slow.
    Budget up 1.5k but would prefer to spend a little less than the max.

Here's a rough list of what I've looked at, my head is spinning from all the model numbers and specs. The XPS seems to be the one that is consistently recommended but it's at the upper limit of my budget - is it really worth it?

Dell Inspiron 15 / XPS 15
    Asus X550 / ROG / ZenBook (have heard bad things about Asus though)
    Acer Aspire
    Lenova ThinkPad / Y15 / Yoga / ...
    Samsung ?
    Toshiba ?
    HP Pavillon (have had bad experience with HP in the past, but could try again)
    MSI
    Alienware

Also is there a decent site that lets you filter according to detailed spec? Was trying to use notebookcheck.ie / laptopsdirect.ie but not working out so well.

Thanks!

Comments

Advertisement