Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABC's - November 2015

Options
  • 17-12-2015 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭

The UK ABC newspaper numbers are here. Media Guardian report here. No iLevel.ie report yet.
    • Sun down 7% YoY.
    • Mail down 4% YoY.
    • Mirror down 10% YoY.
    • Telegraphy down 3% YoY.
    • Star up 3% YoY. (Thanks to 50% price reduction).
    • Times up 3% YoY. (Thanks to 27k bulk copies).
    • Express down 12% YoY.
    • i down 3% YoY.
    • FT down 4% YoY.
    • Daily Record down 11% YoY.
    • Guardian down 7% YoY.
    • Independent down 8% YoY.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

JTMan wrote: »
    The UK ABC newspaper numbers are here. Media Guardian report here. No iLevel.ie report yet.
    • Sun down 7% YoY.
    • Mail down 4% YoY.
    • Mirror down 10% YoY.
    • Telegraphy down 3% YoY.
    • Star up 3% YoY. (Thanks to 50% price reduction).
    • Times up 3% YoY. (Thanks to 27k bulk copies).
    • Express down 12% YoY.
    • i down 3% YoY.
    • FT down 4% YoY.
    • Daily Record down 11% YoY.
    • Guardian down 7% YoY.
    • Independent down 8% YoY.

The lift from the Gazette is inaccurate.
    The total increase for The Times Year on Year was 4.74%, or 18,431 copies more than Nov 14.
    The increase in bulks were 5,014, not 27k as the Nov 14 bulks were 22,138.
    This means that the number of paid copies of The Times increased by 13,417 in November 15 when compared to same period in 2014.

Incidentally, the RoI stats also showed an increase, no bulks here at all.

Nov 14. 2174
    Nov 15. 2488

This is 14.4% up on previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

iLevel.ie excellent analysis here.

Carnage at the Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Carnage is right. They have invested nothing in marketing and promotion - an area they excelled in.

IRE60 wrote: »
    Carnage is right. They have invested nothing in marketing and promotion - an area they excelled in.

The UK Star cover price has been reduced by 50%, to 20p, to boost sales. It seems to have worked, sales are up 10% but revenue is obviously down circa. 50%, so it is denting profits. No sign of the Irish Daily Star replicating the cover price cuts here, probably would not get INM approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

I get the feeling that the Irish and UK Stars have nothing to do with each other in terms of business strategy. In this parish a price cut would be futile as there is no land to grab.

As I'm at it: we'll be 'arsehole to breakfast time' in '16 stuff from the papers which might help them a little.
    The election will give them some revenue in terms of adverts. But many of the parties look towards social media as their outlet to get at masses.
    interesting story in the Sunday Times about speculation as to why Lucy quit the Indo board - a conflict of interest if the indo bid for communicorp! What an unmitigated disaster that would be for press independence!
    Will we see one paper less in16? Possibly a withdrawl from one of the uk titles - people being my nap, sunday mirror a narrow second!

• Advertisement

interesting story in the Sunday Times about speculation as to why Lucy quit the Indo board - a conflict of interest if the indo bid for communicorp! What an unmitigated disaster that would be for press independence!

Very interesting. INM have the cash to bid for Communicorp now. Surely, no current nor future government would allow a INM Communicorp merger to occur.
    Will we see one paper less in16? Possibly a withdrawl from one of the uk titles - people being my nap, sunday mirror a narrow second!

A withdrawal of a UK title or a decision to end an Irish version of a UK paper or the collapse of Landmark Media Investments seem the next likely events in the decline of the newspaper industry. I think we are still a bit away from the Irish Daily Star and the Sunday World folding but the event is coming closer.

Advertisement