Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Redeclaring car off the road

Options
  • 17-12-2015 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

Currently my car is declared off the road. I did this in 2011 shortly after the new rules came in saying it had to be done in advance. When I filled the form for this I was sure it remained off the road until I put it back on the road. There was no mention of having to renew the OTR form every 12 months.

A letter arrived in August stating I need to declare the car off the road again before the end of August, but unfortunately I'm only becoming aware of this now as I live abroad and it went under the radar for a while.

When I try to access the motortax.ie website with the PIN they sent I get as far as step 3 where I need to choose the insurance company. As the car is off the road I don't currently have insurance for it, so I can't get past step 3 on the website.

I then emailed the motor tax office and they tell me that to declare the car off the road again I have to tax it and insure it, then complete all the OTR stuff..!

Is it just me or does that seem nuts..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

....or just transfer ownership to a relative/close friend for a few days. Then change ownership back to yourself and start all over again.
    This will wipe out any motor tax arrears, but you may have to declare it SORD online as you only have 10 days to do so from the date of Transfer.

Advertisement