Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

luminous insects?

Options
  • 17-12-2015 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum to post in, but are there fireflys or luminous insects in Ireland?

I'm up in Donegal and a couple of nights ago while outside at night I seen what I could only image was a firefly style insect, but it was only a quick glance so I assumed I was mistaken.
    Then last night I seen something similar again.
    First time the light looked a red colour and last night was more a yellow colour.
    Now I know we don't have fireflys here but have we luminous insects?
    Possibly related to the very damp and mild weather here lately? Certainly never encountered it before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Even if they were glow worms, which I understand have been sighted in Ireland, they wouldn't be around now so late in the year. I wonder if this might be relevant?
    Glow worms or fireflies in winter?

December 2015

We have received several reports recently of hundreds glow worms or fireflies in trees in the UK and US. But glow worms don't live in trees, and don't glow in winter. In fact, they are caused by a new form of decorative laser device which projects numerous green and red spots of light. The source of the beam is probably in a nearby upstairs window, but will not usually be obvious as the light beams are quite thin and the power is low. So if you see such a thing, check with the nearby householders before reporting them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Carabus clatratus is a ground beetle that is quite luminous, as opposed to bio-luminous, and is possibly what you saw.

We don't have fireflies.

Glow worms have been recorded,rarely, in the UK but not here.

Timing is wrong right now for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Should have said they were flying, I've no idea, maybe I'm just going mad! If it had of been once I'd just dismiss it, but the second time I though maybe there is luminous flys around.

Also, not laser pointers, no close neighbours here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Moths maybe? Some of the the larger ones have really reflective eyes, wouldn't necessarily notice the body in the darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

@ Srameen
    What sort of area would you find those? I was shooting ducks (so possibly Sept) on a boggy area many years back and as I returning to the car in the dark my footsteps were 'glowing' green. I searched the 'turf' and found small grubs, 3-4 mm long, that glowed when you rubbed them between your fingers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement