Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chancers...chancers everywhere!

Options
  • 17-12-2015 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

Jesus, there's some serious chancers on the road. Heading out of my estate this morning behind another car. He goes to pull out onto the main road and I'm sitting behind him with my handbrake on stationary when he decides to knock it into reverse and slam into the front of my car without checking his rear view (he hadn't left himself enough time to pull out with other cars on the main road).

I'm thinking to myself, just a tip my car's probably fine when I get out. He jumps out and with the straightest of faces says 'what are you doing driving into the back of me??' 'Did you not see me in front??' I'm bewildered there for a second before telling him to go on away with that shite you know what you did but he keeps blaming me. Just a scratch on my license plate from his towbar, nothing wrong with his car.

It was a nice feeling to again tell him to go on away with that crap and point to my dashcam. Fecker.

Anyone else come across this type of crap on the roadside from people who think they can bare faced lie and accuse to try feck you over? I would bet a months wages all the passengers would have had neck injuries all of a sudden if there wasn't a camera pointing at his car.

-Funk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Happened my mate in Cork, stopped at traffic lights at about 1am after work. Women in a Civic reverses into him, leaves a nice mark on his bumper too, cracked the middle of it. Like yourself, he gets out to see what the issue is, women blames him for rear ending her and he points out the dash cam he had only just purchased that week.

She was left with a nice repair bill.

Its one thing I'ce to invest in actually is a dash cam. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ultimate pond scum looking for free and easy money, all too common these days. Time to invest in a dash cam me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Christ, I need to get me a dash cam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

What an absolute bollox.

Fookin chancer is right.

Was he a respectable sort or a scumbag ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

What type of person do you have to be to pull that type of crap. I'm normally pretty precious about my car but was nice and calm knowing it was only a tip and an easy yet stupid mistake for him to make but the crap that came out of his mouth straight away has me raging.

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I can see insurers at some point giving reductions to drivers with dash cams installed, makes a huge amount of sense and protects both parties.

It would be similar to a house alarm discount in that the insurer would only pay out if the cam was in use at the time of an accident.

I think it would deter the scumbag types mentioned above and would influence drivers to be more careful, its a win win I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

What an absolute bollox.

Fookin chancer is right.

Only a scumbag would try something like that. It doesn't matter what he looks like or how he's dressed.

He was in work wear and looked like his elderly parents in the car. Had the cheek to have a smile on his face when he was getting back into his car.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Same happened to me... guy driving right up my arse undertakes me into a different lane and then attempts to enter my lane as it splits in two... he hoping I was to go into right lane.
    Accuses me of 'swerving over' to hit him and says 'I've got you on camera!'.
    Thankfully, I've also a dash cam and after checking the road markings again, I'm 100% in the right.
    Thankfully just slight dust / tyres touching, but had the potential to be a lot worse.
    I'll upload it when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

funk-you wrote: »
    He was in work wear and looked like his elderly parents in the car. Had the cheek to have a smile on his face when he was getting back into his car.

-Funk

What did he say after you pointed out the camera?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

How is the dashcam footage? You should send it on to the Gardai, IMO.

If he pulled it on you then there's a high chance he'll pull it on some other poor sob...

theteal wrote:
    What did he say after you pointed out the camera?

Became amicable as you like then.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Became amicable as you like then.

-Funk

Funk that. I'd be letting him know he's getting done for fraud!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Say nothing about the camera, stay in your car and wait for him to come over to your window and record his voice.
    You wait for him to contact your insurance and then do him for attempted fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

hi5 wrote: »
    Say nothing about the camera, stay in your car and wait for him to come over to your window and record his voice.

That would be a satisfying thing to do but I guess OP, like many, doesn't have time to be playing around with chancers each day...

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

You should upload the footage of the incident to the dashcam thread.

Páid wrote: »
    You should upload the footage of the incident to the dashcam thread.

Aye, I've got it here now on my laptop. Audio and all but going to keep it private just in case he tries to report anything down the line and chance his arm. Fully shows exactly what happened and can hear perfectly what he said and his face.

Seriously though, what ever happened to 'are you okay?' 'thankfully it was only a tip' when you get out of the car instead of trying this on. It was an easy mistake for him to make and I understood that but that level of slyness has annoyed me no end.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Aye, I've got it here now on my laptop. Audio and all but going to keep it private just in case he tries to report anything down the line and chance his arm. Fully shows exactly what happened and can hear perfectly what he said and his face.

Seriously though, what ever happened to 'are you okay?' 'thankfully it was only a tip' when you get out of the car instead of trying this on. It was an easy mistake for him to make and I understood that but that level of slyness has annoyed me no end.

-Funk

You really should contact the Gardai, its unlikely this is the first or the last time he has done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

This is prime advice. Never, ever point out that you have a dash cam. The only person you should inform is a Garda if they attend. At the scene of an accident is very easy to take your eyes off the car with your back turned and for the camera to disappear.

I'd get far more satisfaction from someone being prosecuted for attempted fraud. Tag on some defamation there if they went far enough with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i would have let him claim aswell,he would never get insurance again

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

You really should contact the Gardai, its unlikely this is the first or the last time he has done this.

Agree. OP if you get the time you should nip down to the Cop shop and leave the footage with them. At the very least I'd imagine they'd give him a call and let him know people are monitoring this scum behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

I was thinking the exact same, let him go on his little rant trying to blame you let him call the guards and the insurance company then boommmm hit him with the dashcam line and just watch the scumbag change his attitude then, then give footage to the guards and hopefully they deal with fool properly

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭cnoc

Which type dash cam, reasonably priced but excellent quality, would be a good purchase. Might get one in the January sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pheelay

There's many videos on youtube of this scam in other countries. Surprised it's taken this long to arrive here. Given our easy payout compo culture, it seems like it would be easy money for fraudsters :(

Definitely hand the footage into your local Garda station. It's attempted fraud and they're going to catch out some other poor sod who won't have a dash cam to defend themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The Op scared me into finally getting a dash cam for the Abarth. Transcend Drivepro 200 is doing the job and requires no fiddling once set up. Turn on ignition and she's recording.
    Re the fraud, I'd make it a mission to insure that the chancer is done for it . It's these oh so numerous bastards that make insurance so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I was going to write that I cant believe this could happen, but I actually can. Would have been funny if you played dumb and he claimed anyway...but still would have dropped footage into the Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I'd have played dumb, said nothing about the dash cam and waited for the guards to arrive. When they do, tell them you've got everything on video clearly showing the scam. Get him done for attempted fraud and hope that no insurance company would cover him again.

OP you should at the very least inform the gardai of exactly what happened and give them a copy of the footage.
    pheelay wrote: »
    There's many videos on youtube of this scam in other countries. Surprised it's taken this long to arrive here. Given our easy payout compo culture, it seems like it would be easy money for fraudsters :(

Been happening for a few years now, reported on this site a number of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Report it. It will be logged on garda system then.
    Imagine the benefit to next poor sod he tried it with. Innocent driver goes in and says car reversed into him. Cheat says opposite. Gardai then see attempted fraud recorded on file. They will certainly know who the bull****ter is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ah stick it up dude!! I'd love to see it! It will probably be picked up by a few sites like Joe.ie and Balls, people will stick it on their FB timeline and your youtube clip will be worth a fortune to you!!!

(and we'll hopefully see a dramatic chancer reduction)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Im surprised that there is no mention of a personal injury claim against the lad who backed into the op.
    But that would be illegal if there are no injurys, plus the op is probably happy there are no injurys.
    Though if it was me i would claim off the other guys insurance for everything i could like , new bumper, number plate, lights/grill/bonnet if they were damaged, clips/mounts get broken very easily, car hire for the time yours is in the garage, doctors checkup, (make sure everything is ok)
    If someone tried to do that to me id push to make sure he lost his no claims and might make him think twice about trying it again

Advertisement