Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA to introduce blood testing for players

Options
  • 17-12-2015 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted and discussed before but I saw this article on the RTE site and thought it was worth talking about.

The G.A.A. announced yesterday that they will be introducing random blood tests for players next season. Do the lads and ladies of the board think this will have any effect or that anyone will be caught?

My view is that people are being caught in other amateur sports in Ireland which have far less reward than inter-county football/hurling, so if someone is doping to win a local bike race or track and field event, why the feck wouldn't people be doping in GAA games?

I don't think people should be throwing around accusations or speculation like "billy whatever from crossmalina is using EPO and TRT, I heard it from his cousin" but in general I was wondering do you think it's an issue in the sport and will people be caught and if they are caught what do the GAA do about it?
    The GAA has confirmed that blood and urine testing for players will be introduced for the first time as part of the 2016 Anti-Doping programme rolled out by Sport Ireland.
    Chairman of the Medical Scientific and Welfare Committee (MSW), Ger Ryan, said that blood-testing has been a fact of life for many athletes in Ireland’s largest sports for a number of years, and it was inevitable that it would eventually be introduced to Gaelic games.
    "The GAA has worked closely with Sport Ireland on this and the programme that will be rolled out – while meeting with Sport Ireland’s requirements in this regard - has been designed taking careful consideration of the unique circumstances of our amateur players, their support personnel and our team and training structures," he said.
    He added that he fully appreciated the additional inconvenience this would cause for players, but emphasised that that the GAA could not afford to be complacent in terms of the integrity of its games and that the testing programme was designed to ensure a level playing field for all GAA players.
    He said: "The GAA had formulated a new four year Anti-Doping Education Strategy for all levels of the Association to complement its existing initiatives, and that the main focus of this in 2016 would be on senior inter-county panels and support personnel."
    In 2015, 95 GAA players were tested as part of the anti-doping programme.
    The MSW also recommended that a concussion sub should not be introduced during games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Its a great move, id like to be reassured that we're watching a clean game, and in the last few years i've had doubts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭kksaints

adrian522 wrote: »

I saw him being interviewed on RTE last night about this. He went on about how because there is no money or sponsorship deals worth loads at stake there should be no real need for blood testing. But surely as one of the most marketed GAA players around he gets a nice sum from his sponsors?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

kksaints wrote: »
    I saw him being interviewed on RTE last night about this. He went on about how because there is no money or sponsorship deals worth loads at stake there should be no real need for blood testing. But surely as one of the most marketed GAA players around he gets a nice sum from his sponsors?

Yip I think his protest would make you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

do the GAA sign up to the WADA code?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well they have an agreement with the Irish Sports Council, which incorporates the WADA anti-doping code so yes, essentially they do.

https://www.gaa.ie/medical-and-player-welfare/anti-doping/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

I've often wondered whether this kind of thing was happening within GAA. It wouldn't really surprise me at all if it was, so I'm happy enough with the developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Bazzers

I think it's a good idea,Gaa is sports that fell behind the times,and it's time it kept up-to-date with modern world.

Advertisement