Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet LLU DSL With a Mikrotik; Odd DHCP problem

Options
  • 17-12-2015 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

I'm having an odd problem; the plan was to setup my Magnet TG703 box in bridge mode (thanks to an old post from Nick Hilliard!), then have it give my Mikrotik CRS125 a DHCP address, and have the CRS125 do NAT etc.

Bridge mode works fine, anything I plug into it gets a DHCP address.... except the CRS125. Which is really odd. When I run the Mikrotik 'torch' app on the interface, I see DHCP requests going out, but never answered.

Anyone ever see that ? Is there something...curious about the DHCP servers Magnet use ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not sure why it'd be different but try passing PPPoE through to the crs?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

Someone else suggested that - how do you get PPPoE login details ? I dumped the config from the TG703 in bridge mode, but didn't see any mention of the DSL username & password that magnet mentioned on https://www.magnet.ie/business/faq/how-do-i-re-configure-my-zyxel-modem/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

valen wrote: »
    I'm having an odd problem; the plan was to setup my Magnet TG703 box in bridge mode (thanks to an old post from Nick Hilliard!), then have it give my Mikrotik CRS125 a DHCP address, and have the CRS125 do NAT etc.

Bridge mode works fine, anything I plug into it gets a DHCP address.... except the CRS125. Which is really odd. When I run the Mikrotik 'torch' app on the interface, I see DHCP requests going out, but never answered.

Anyone ever see that ? Is there something...curious about the DHCP servers Magnet use ?

Are you a residential or business customer? Cause for bridge mode to work properly on their LLU you will need a static ip and to assign that to your device.

Magnet don't use PPPoE on LLU; rather they use routed bridge encapsulation (RFC1483). May also be listed on a router as "1483 bridged IP LLC" or "ENET ENCAP".

Any idea why bridge mode doesn't work with LLU ? Other devices (OSX laptops, android phones) seem to have no problem getting an IP over the bridge. It's just the Mikrotik box that seemed to have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

valen wrote: »
    Any idea why bridge mode doesn't work with LLU ? Other devices (OSX laptops, android phones) seem to have no problem getting an IP over the bridge. It's just the Mikrotik box that seemed to have a problem.

Magnet to Mikrotik is a different set of circumstances then the Mikrotik device serving DHCP to internal devices.

Well, yes. The Mikrotik's DHCP server is giving my machines internal IPs, that's fine. Completely separate, understood and working.

But the Mikrotik's dhcp-client is being ignored by Magnet. Anything else plugged into the uplink from the mikrotik to Magnet gets an IP. Which is ... odd.

Is there an option on the Mikrotik WAN side for 1483 bridged mode?

Nah, the Mikrotik doesn't have a DSL port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

LFE in effect Valen? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement