Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop with both SSD and 1Tb hd

Options
  • 17-12-2015 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi.
    Getting a new laptop with a 128gb SSD and 1Tb hard drive too. Just wondering which drive do you use for gaming , downloading , video uploading etc. The Operating system is on the SSD so have around 100Gb free.Some of the latest games are pretty big so not sure you would fit many and as this is my first time using an SSd i'm just curious as the best way to manage the storage. Will be downloading some smaller games from Steam aswell. Have bought an external Dvd drive for discs. TIA..Pat

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Downloads and videos on 1TB drive along with most games.

Some games benefit from being on a SSD such as BF4 etc but most will run absolutely fine from a decent speed HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

its only a 5400 hdd but i presume light games from steam should still work fine on this..

Yeah should be ok for most games still. It all depends on what game you're playing. Load times might be slightly slower on a 5400 instead of a 7200 but once a level is loaded, it'll be no difference. Having them on the SSD would be a massive improvement but prob a waste overall as the SSD is small. The OS benefits will be massive to have on the SSD and games such as BF4 in my experience and some mates, was massive. Load times on HDD were nearly a min on most maps. SSD's cut it down to like 20 seconds. I have all other games on the HDD and no probs.

A decent dedicated GPU would be a higher priority in a laptop for me when it comes to gaming. Having a shared GPU/CPU core won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

Thanks for the reply "Yawns".Yeah it has Geforce 960M 4gb card which is reasonable enough and an i7 6 series processor and 16gb ram so should be able to handle most things ..

Ah yeah, it'll be fine. A 7200rpm hhd would have been better but that rig should be fine. If you're gonna game, maybe a decent USB laptop cooler fan that sits underneath the entire laptop to help keep it cool. Had a friend practically turn his laptop into an oven :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement