Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smoking rear brake pads

Options
  • 16-12-2015 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭

Had a bit of a spirited drive recently trying to make a deadline. With fairly heavy traffic on motorway this involved a fair bit of brake use for a reasonably continuous period. When I came to a halt there was a very strong smell from the rear brakes and the handbrake was difficult to engage. The front brakes seemed fine. Once they cooled down everything was back to normal and has remained so since.

I replaced the rear brake pads a couple of months back and as I needed the job done quickly I didn't ask for a specific brand. The job wasn't overly expensive so could I have got poor quality spurious pads installed which can't handle much hardship or would there be any other reason for this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

creedp wrote: »
    Had a bit of a spirited drive recently trying to make a deadline. With fairly heavy traffic on motorway this involved a fair bit of brake use for a reasonably continuous period. When I came to a halt there was a very strong smell from the rear brakes and the handbrake was difficult to engage. The front brakes seemed fine. Once they cooled down everything was back to normal and has remained so since.

I replaced the rear brake pads a couple of months back and as I needed the job done quickly I didn't ask for a specific brand. The job wasn't overly expensive so could I have got poor quality spurious pads installed which can't handle much hardship or would there be any other reason for this issue?

Most likely a sticking calliper. Get it checked as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Were both pads smoking? I reckon you glazed them. When I fitted pads to my front I went for a spirited drive a few weeks later and used the brakes a lot around corners, they started smoking. Drove normally and used the brakes lightly to remove the glazing and they've been fine ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

VeVeX wrote: »
    Most likely a sticking calliper. Get it checked as soon as possible.

Had this similar problem on one of my cars.

Carefully!.... check the temperature of the wheels. If one of them is hotter than the other then you may have a sticking caliper.

The caliper can be replaced with a new one or a refurbshed one or you can opt to get the parts and refurbish yourself if you are good with motor repairs.

I ordered a new one and fitted myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

wandererz wrote: »
    Had this similar problem on one of my cars.

Carefully!.... check the temperature of the wheels. If one of them is hotter than the other then you may have a sticking caliper...

And do be properly careful, OP - I got a nice little burn on my finger a while back checking a brake-disc that I suspected had a binding caliper. I was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

Were both pads smoking? I reckon you glazed them. When I fitted pads to my front I went for a spirited drive a few weeks later and used the brakes a lot around corners, they started smoking. Drove normally and used the brakes lightly to remove the glazing and they've been fine ever since.

I thought they were but only really checked one side. Will check both properly next time taking full note of could be really hot caution! If it is a caliper where would be a good place to source or if getting a garage to do job would I be better off letting the garage source part?

• Advertisement

I thought this problem had gone away but I checked the wheel this evening and it was hot. When I looked at brake pad I could see it was almost worn down to the metal while the other side has loads of pad left. Looks like I have a sticking caliber. What would I expect to pay for new/reconditioned caliber?

A related issue is that recently I gave noticed that if I pump the brakes in quick succession the brake pedal goes hard requiring considerable force to stop car. If I release brake pedal for a few seconds it returns to normal. What is causing this? Would it relate to old brake fluid or could it be a servo problem?

Between a DMF, suspension bushings, a sticking caliper, and now a potential additional brake problem, the car seems to be falling apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

jimgoose wrote: »
    And do be properly careful, OP - I got a nice little burn on my finger a while back checking a brake-disc that I suspected had a binding caliper. I was right!

yep they burn .. thought it was just me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Looks like I have a sticking caliber. What would I expect to pay for new/reconditioned caliber?

Had one done on a 2011 Avensis a few weeks ago. €145 for the caliper, €40 fitting.
    If it had been the Primera I would have fitted it myself, but with the electronic parking break on the Avensis I didn't fancy messing something up for the sake of €40.

Stoolbend wrote: »
    What car is it?

2008 Ford s-max 2L diesel

• Advertisement

Duiske wrote: »
    Had one done on a 2011 Avensis a few weeks ago. €145 for the caliper, €40 fitting.
    If it had been the Primera I would have fitted it myself, but with the electronic parking break on the Avensis I didn't fancy messing something up for the sake of €40.

Was that a new or reconditioned caliper? I had a quick squint on Micks Garage and new calipers for mine were around €250 ..pretty saucy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Was that a new or reconditioned caliper? I had a quick squint on Micks Garage and new calipers for mine were around €250 ..pretty saucy!

New. No idea where they were sourced though. Just checked Micks Garage for my own car and they come back at €185. Looks like the guy who done mine gets a decent discount somewhere. He's always sound on price, so obviously passes the discount on to the customer.

Duiske wrote: »
    New. No idea where they were sourced though. Just checked Micks Garage for my own car and they come back at €185. Looks like the guy who done mine gets a decent discount somewhere. He's always sound on price, so obviously passes the discount on to the customer.

Hopefully my mechanic will be nice to me too! By the way I've driven over 500 miles over weekend and no issue with brakes as I checked the wheel regularly to see if hot. Will see what mechanic will say.

Can't say same with rear suspension bushing which played a loud orchestral tune for everyone of those miles .. another job needed done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

you might get away with a caliper rebuild or greasong, i had a stciking caliuper and i just lubed up the slider pins and cylinder and its been fine for last 5K again, very DIYable job

Notch000 wrote: »
    you might get away with a caliper rebuild or greasong, i had a stciking caliuper and i just lubed up the slider pins and cylinder and its been fine for last 5K again, very DIYable job

A number of years back I did a lot of this kind of work myself as I had no other calls on my time. Roll forward a few years with commute and 4 kids and everything has changed. On top of that I dont think my wife would be too happy if she heard I was messing around with brakes especially if the damn thing gave trouble again shortly after.

My usual mechanic cant be contacted .. he could be away. So I rang a local MF and was given a price of €180 for new caliper with a €40 refund if I handed in the old one plus €30 for a set of pads. I spoke to another local mechanic who fixed a puncture for me today using a plug which he said is superior to a patch! (it never ends these days) who said if I had the parts he would fit no problem. What would be a reasonable price to fit a caliper and set of pads? I dont want to let this drag on as the caliper is not releasing properly and I'm afraid it will seize completely during one of the long journeys I have coming up over the next few days.

Advertisement