Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambulances & Driving Licence

Options
  • 16-12-2015 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Probably been asked here before but can someone from NAS advise if a D1 Licence is still required alongside the C1 licence?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

yourpics wrote: »
    Probably been asked here before but can someone from NAS advise if a D1 Licence is still required alongside the C1 licence?

Thanks

For which competition?? It wasn't for the recent ICO positions as far as I can remember just a C1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

It is not for any particular competition, this is just a general question if anyone had up to date info to hand!

It is not for any particular competition, this is just a general question if anyone had up to date info to hand!

You won't know until the post your looking for comes up, presumably its paramedic. The only info at the minute came from the ICO competition. The last paramedic competitoon a few yearws ago now required d1 and c1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

For the last round of ICOs, it was definitely both C1 & D1 required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

The recent recruitment for qualified paramedics only required a C1 license

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

ICO is C1 &D1

Paramedic last recruitment was C1 to apply & D1 after 1 year but
    Now that Panel was informed the D1 would no longer be required a few months ago so take from that what you will they are expensive but no harm having the D1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 icv1111

ICO was definitely both the C1 and D1 required.
    Do yourself a favour and get both of them, regardless of how much time the paramedic course will give you. Because chances are you wont have the time to do the lessons/test while studying to be a paramedic.

Get them done and over with imo.

Thanks for all the replies!

I have the C Category so my thinking is that D1 should be handy enough and not require too many lessons

Appologies It just dawned on my that the D1 was in fact required for ICO, appologies for miss information!

As sjb25 says above the D1 wasn't required for the current Paramedic panel, hence why I said it can depend on what competition you are applying for.

I had heard from an AP they were removing the D1 requirement but this is not gospel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 icv1111

i never really got the whole d1 requirement anyway. what vehicles in NAS have more than 8 seats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

icv1111 wrote: »
    i never really got the whole d1 requirement anyway. what vehicles in NAS have more than 8 seats?

It used to be that in the days of two stretchers in an ambulance the stretchers could seat up to 4 people each. Back rests and seat belts were placed on the walls, so theoretically you could have 8 passengers in the back.
    I don't know if the Ambulance service still has any vehicles capable of evacuating multiple casualties anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I have the C Category so my thinking is that D1 should be handy enough and not require too many lessons

Yup, getting the D1 after the C / C1 should be a doddle. There is only a tiny difference in the test (you have to stop to simulate a pick up of passengers, and then 'check' they are seated before you move off). The driving of the bus, I found, is the same as the light truck (ie road position, stopping distance, starting, lanes ... the general driving of a 'big' vehicle!).

The only thing is the pain of arranging for the test & paying for it!

Good luck ... hope you get it!

Yup, getting the D1 after the C / C1 should be a doddle. There is only a tiny difference in the test (you have to stop to simulate a pick up of passengers, and then 'check' they are seated before you move off). The driving of the bus, I found, is the same as the light truck (ie road position, stopping distance, starting, lanes ... the general driving of a 'big' vehicle!).

Thanks for that advice, greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

You are right, and as well the difference in a coach/ bus is your front wheels are behind you but in a truck they are under you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

kub wrote: »
    You are right, and as well the difference in a coach/ bus is your front wheels are behind you but in a truck they are under you.

Actually, if it's a D1 mini bus you're going for then the wheels are in the same place they always are.

Advertisement