Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

st margarets

Options
  • 16-12-2015 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

Thinking of playing my free round on St Margarets shortly. Just checking out the layout from ggl maps.

I'm confused at whats happening on what I think is the 8th hole.
    I've marked what I think is the 8th green but is there is two separate approaches to the 8th?. At first I thought that fairway way playing down to the other green, but that doesn't seem to fit. Anyone shed some light?

mn1bpk.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Zoomed out a bit. Have I got this right?

2mfalv7.jpg

Hopefully some can help me as I've now resorted to peering over the bushes with the street view (still can't tell) :)

1z6xwm1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

I think because the fairway to the left off the tee box gets very wet during wintertime, they use the fairway to the right for that period.
    It becomes a considerably easier hole as a consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

This is the layout map on www.gogolfing.ie

st_magarets_layout.png

Cheers that makes sense. I can stop with the peeping tom stuff now.
    Looks like a nice hole in Summer (doesn't look that bad in winter either)

• Advertisement

Would membership here for 2016 be value for money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

They re did the hole a couple of years ago as they were trying to sell the land where the left fairway is. Was reopened this year after maybe 4 years closed. Much better hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I actually think it is a much better hole playing down the right fairway, there is the bunkers and the danger of the water left from the tee shot then there is also that voice in ya head that can make you go for it in two.

Whereas the left fairway is just a straight forward 3 shotter, drive and layup before the water. Left fairway can also get extremely wet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

If you want photos, I took some a few months back. I didn't get any from the left hand fairway on 8 - just the tee shot and approach over the lake.

Both fairways in excellent condition.

Photos here.

wow! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

When are you thinking of playing and any idea when the vouchers have to be used?
    Am going mad for a round but can't play right now due to a bit of a turn i had last week!!

Hope you didn't try turn left again? 3rpbot.jpg

Vouchers have to be used by 31st Dec.
    I'm away from stephens day to 31st. So I'm thinking about playing shortly. Dying for a game. Let me know if there's a day you are able to make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yeah the left hand fairway is the one in use exclusively now. If you're feeling funky you can see the right hand one off the black tees! I prefer playing it down the left.
    Your layup has to be perfect or you're coming in over a massive lake with 160+ left and no margin for error.
    1000 euro for the year is a great price now given the improvements over the past year. I expect the place to be in great shape for the whole season this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

I played here about 10 days ago, and didn't even realise there was 2 fairways.

I did notice it was a bit difficult to get your bearings on this hole if you haven't played it before, the layup distance is tricky.

Its a seriously underrated course, plenty of practice area. +1 for membership value.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Much better hole of the left fairway. The right fairway used to be either practice or waste area untill the opened it up as a fairway, possibly close to 10 years ago now.

Right fairway made a joke of what was a great par 5. Reachable in 2 everytime down right side or you will get very close to green. Left side, great risk reward, a very very good drive needed to have a sniff at making it in two. I reached it once with driver & 5 wood, lipped hole with eagle putt from about 15 foot but was one of my best ever birdies ( 5 of them that day, still have the card, my best game ever)

It was much more than 4 years closed if it only reopened last year. It's been a few years since I played there, but I'm delighted they changed it back. Cracking golf course, must try and get there again soon

Ferocious wind on Saturday for my first time playing the course. Right side of 8th was in play. Directly into the wind and it was a 4shooter for me. I could only imagine having to play in over the water into a wind that strong. Nice course. Looking forward to summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Ferocious wind on Saturday for my first time playing the course. Right side of 8th was in play. Directly into the wind and it was a 4shooter for me. I could only imagine having to play in over the water into a wind that strong. Nice course. Looking forward to summer.

Really? 4 shots.... Were they just bad ones or what? Maybe different tee.

I think I played that a couple yeats ago and they had left in play but there is nothing stopping you going up the right, no OB, which is wrong if they want you to play the left.

I wish they would just pick the left and forget about the right, it is of no benefit to have 2 fairways for the same hole,

They weren't great shots. But anything going up in the air was just coming right back at you. Hit 6i for my second. Allowed about 3 clubs for wind. It hung in the air for ages, the wind took about 5-6 clubs off it. Not used to playing wind like that.

The left side of 8 looked pretty damp still. That side of fairway runs between a small lake and the river, and drains slower than the rest of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Didn't think they ever used it. Shows how much winter golf I play!

Advertisement