Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exceptionally long lichen

Options
  • 16-12-2015 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is there any reason why the lichen would grow so long on this tree, would the stream have an influence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SlugIt2Me

It is hard to see from the picture exactly what type of lichen it is. Do you have any closer pictures? It looks to me though that the lichen is an Usnea of some sort. It would be hard to tell what species exactly without having a sample to examine. Usneas have that long straggly growth form, which would explain why it is so long and looks so impressive. As for if the stream has an influence, it's hard to say. As far as I know Usneas tend to be able to withstand fairly dry conditions. I would hazard a guess though and say that it is likely that other trees near by probably have fairly good lichen growth as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Thanks for the reply. It's actually the only tree which has long lichen. I will get a video of it and post it up.

Advertisement