Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songwriter who is publishing her own album - need advice please

Options
  • 15-12-2015 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm a songwriter, and I decided to get some of my songs out there and bring out my own album, recorded at a local recording studio. I guess you could call it a vanity album!

What I'm concerned about is the question of royalties, revenue etc.

I will be paying the studio to do the album, recording, mixing and mastering etc. and I will be using session musicians. I will be distributing the album via ReverbNation to iTunes, Google Play etc., and I have a contact through which I can get airplay on a local radio station. So there's a chance of at least some moderate local success, although it will be small scale.

The key thing is that the producer is the owner of the studio, and he will also be contributing to the songs with arrangements and so on. And he is very talented.

He is talking about a percentage of royalties being fair to him, starting at around 15%.

I don't know what that 15% is of. Is it of the performance royalties from like IMRO, or is it from the sales of the album?

My own thinking is that I should get 100% of the sales revenue because I am the one who is not just putting the songs in, but I'm also paying for the whole project, paying for all promotion, and who will be arranging interviews etc. with local papers and radio. As far as I'm concerned, revenue from sales should therefore all go to me.

I'm not sure at this stage where I stand.

The producer is a fair guy, and I want to be fair with him too, but I need some advice about what the norm is and what other people in the project will be getting, before I actually hand over any money.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Elvis Sinatra

Did you pay this guy to produce the album?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mid fifties

Hi There

(He is talking about a percentage of royalties being fair to him, starting at around 15%.)

Did you offer him any percentage of royalties because if you did then why are you paying him.

As far as i know if you and the producer has agreed on a price to record your album then that's all the producer is entitle to and if you didn't offer him any percentage of royalties then again as far as i know he is not entitle to any royaltites only the price you both agreed on, but then not to sure why he would be talking about a percentage of royalties unless maybe it has something to do with you telling him you have a contact through which you can get airplay on a local radio station.

My advice is pay him the money dont offer him any percentage of royalties and leave it at that, i mean he should know if your album is a hit you're not going to go around looking for another producer now are you, but really its best to talk all this over with him first because im sure you're looking forward to getting your album recorded and you certainly don't want this playing on your mind, i guess its one way to find out if he really is been fair with you, good luck.

Advertisement