Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Japanese in DCU

Options
  • 15-12-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi! I'm very interested in doing Japanese in DCU and would like to know a few things about the course. I already know that you have to pick 2 languages, 1 beginner and 1 intermediate.
    But would I also like to know:

Can you drop 1 language in the second year? Or has it changed?
    What are the best modules for a career in teaching?
    What about finances/cost for the third year abroad?
    If you get a grant to do Japanese, would the grant cover the visa for Japan?
    How would I go about becoming a Japanese teacher in Ireland?
    What goes on during classes? (Is it all in Japanese, small classes etc.)
    Is doing the TEFL course worth doing?
    I'm currently studying French in school and would rather do German or Chinese instead of doing intermediate French. Is there any way to do beginner japanese and beginner German/Chinese?

Thanks again and sorry about the long questions.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moved to DCU forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

OwieSmurf wrote: »
    Hi! I'm very interested in doing Japanese in DCU and would like to know a few things about the course. I already know that you have to pick 2 languages, 1 beginner and 1 intermediate.
    But would I also like to know:

Can you drop 1 language in the second year? Or has it changed?
    What are the best modules for a career in teaching?
    What about finances/cost for the third year abroad?
    If you get a grant to do Japanese, would the grant cover the visa for Japan?
    How would I go about becoming a Japanese teacher in Ireland?
    What goes on during classes? (Is it all in Japanese, small classes etc.)
    Is doing the TEFL course worth doing?
    I'm currently studying French in school and would rather do German or Chinese instead of doing intermediate French. Is there any way to do beginner japanese and beginner German/Chinese?

Thanks again and sorry about the long questions.

1. No, they changed it a few years ago and now you have to carry both languages to degree completion.

2. Secondary school teaching? Not doing Japanese at all. Two European languages would be a much more viable option for getting a teaching job. If you mean just teaching Japanese then...all of the Japanese modules? There aren't any education modules in this course. Also if you want to do secondary teaching you'll have to do a Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching.

3. Most of the universities require 'proof' of varying degrees of having 10,000euro in finances available to you. Some of them are stricter about this and will want bank statements etc. Others just ask you where you plan on getting the money from (so you could say 3000 SUSI grant, 3000 own savings, 4000 from parents or whatever). You'll need the guts of that to live in Japan for a year anyway so it's best to start saving as soon as you can.

4. I don't really understand this question.

5. For secondary school, get more subjects. It will be incredibly difficult to get hired just to teach Japanese since it's offered in so few schools. You'll also have to do a postgrad diploma in education as mentioned above. Of course, anyone can be a private teacher doing grinds and the like but the demand is relatively low and it can be tough to forge out a full time career teaching Japanese in Ireland. There are also jobs in language schools but there are many many more viable candidates than there are jobs so again, it's not easy.

6. Classes are in as much Japanese as possible. By the time you get to final year it'll be entirely through Japanese but there'll be a lot of English in first year since it's a beginners course. Classes are generally quite small, get even smaller by final year due to repeats/drop-outs etc. Classes will be a max of grammar/vocab/reading/writing and oral/aural.

7. TEFL courses in general? No. The only English-teaching qualification that is really worth the money it costs is the CELTA qualification which is necessary to each English as a foreign language in Ireland. The only qualification you need to teach English in Japan is a degree. Don't waste your money on cheapy TEFL courses.

8. Unfortunately not.

Advertisement