Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland have it's own dedicated MMA website/forum??

Options
  • 15-12-2015 6:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hey.

Normally I post on the Underground, which is good but, it's obviously mainly US based.

England has Cagewarriors.com, which is a good forum.

Do Irish guys post there also or what?

I know the Dutch have mixfight.nl, being their own national mma and combat sports site and forum, and most of the dutch fighters and coaches post there.

With Irish mma growing so fast in popularity, you'd think we'd have our own forum or website at this point, no?

Cagewarriors promote heavily in Ireland.
    Would they not consider doing an Irish based website, or linking Irish news into their cagewarrior.com website??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

lol Like going into McDonalds and saying "Any fast food joints around here?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

lol - yeah but this isn't a solely dedicated MMA site.

I mean, the topics here are also spread out into Martial Arts and Self Defense and, they're also quite limited.
    Basically Conor McGregor threads and..... what else....

A website with listings of mma gyms around the country, a news section on Irish events etc.
    That type of thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

The other thing is, being a part of boards.ie, this sub forum is very heavily moderated.

The underground is moderated but, they're still quite open, as is cagewarriors and mixfight.

The nature of topics discussed, due to the nature of what the governing site, boards.ie, will allow, is thus, quite limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

There's always https://www.reddit.com/r/irishmma , not a huge amount of traffic though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We used to have a dedicated Irish forum, Jesus I must be talking about ten years ago or more but it went by the wayside with the popularity of boards.ie back then.

There's a club listing in the stickies on the MA&SD forum where clubs can advertise themselves, the only moderating there is there is a 'No Chat' rule to keep it clutter free.

Before CmG shot to popularity there were various events advertised in this forum but the local scene quickly got swallowed up with UFC thread.

The forum is only as busy as the users make it, in my opinion its not heavily moderated (I'm not a moderator in this particular forum so I think I'm unbiased).

Clubs still post about their events here, but tbh I think most tickets continue to be sold by the fighters to family and close friends and through the clubs to its members.

I've spoken to more than one event organizer who said they didn't get even a single ticket sale through boards.ie

So there ya go. Its really up to people how busy this forum becomes with the local news, and its up to us to suppose the local club scene.

Tbh, when Conor made his pro debut against Gary Morris it wasn't a sell out and the doors were eventually opened to let passer's by drop in free.

The lads and ladies who will follow Conor, Paddy, Seery etc into the UFC are now coming through the amateur ranks and fighting in GAA halls and community centers.. And they're looking for YOUR/OUR support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

We used to have a dedicated Irish forum, Jesus I must be talking about ten years ago or more but it went by the wayside with the popularity of boards.ie back then.

There's a club listing in the stickies on the MA&SD forum where clubs can advertise themselves, the only moderating there is there is a 'No Chat' rule to keep it clutter free.

Before CmG shot to popularity there were various events advertised in this forum but the local scene quickly got swallowed up with UFC thread.

The forum is only as busy as the users make it, in my opinion its not heavily moderated (I'm not a moderator in this particular forum so I think I'm unbiased).

Clubs still post about their events here, but tbh I think most tickets continue to be sold by the fighters to family and close friends and through the clubs to its members.

I've spoken to more than one event organizer who said they didn't get even a single ticket sale through boards.ie

So there ya go. Its really up to people how busy this forum becomes with the local news, and its up to us to suppose the local club scene.

Tbh, when Conor made his pro debut against Gary Morris it wasn't a sell out and the doors were eventually opened to let passer's by drop in free.

The lads and ladies who will follow Conor, Paddy, Seery etc into the UFC are now coming through the amateur ranks and fighting in GAA halls and community centers.. And they're looking for YOUR/OUR support.

Is Bamma in February the next Dublin event?

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Is Bamma in February the next Dublin event?

So far as I know it is.

And Gary Morris fights on it.. Gary and Conor mc Gregor made their pro-debut in the same cage seven years ago.

Gary is an exciting fighter with a long pro record, and a Judo Black Belt too.

I haven't trained with him as he's been training in Portugal all summer so I'm looking forward to seeing him soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

lol - yeah but this isn't a solely dedicated MMA site.

I mean, the topics here are also spread out into Martial Arts and Self Defense and, they're also quite limited.
    Basically Conor McGregor threads and..... what else....

A website with listings of mma gyms around the country, a news section on Irish events etc.
    That type of thing.

Was only messing. Lol its a good idea, especially if there ever was an official Irish MMA association. Not sure if there are steps in place for this though?

Ah, I think I remember it now.. I think the old Irish Martial Arts website was over on IRMAC.NET (long, long gone).. Maybe some of the old timers here can correct me?.

MMA was in its infancy here and not very active, then there was other subforum's on it for Karate, Kendo etc.

Then came boards.ie and that took most of the traffic away from there.. Then Facebook which took more away from here.

I think it would be accurate to say that most guys training, competing, coaching etc would largely discuss and communicate over facebook these days.

Advertisement