Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Options at Present other than 950/XL?

Options
  • 15-12-2015 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

I think my 920 is sadly starting to die. Battery life is not great at all, plus I'd like a change anyway. Is the reckoning that there'll be some new mid-range phones next year?

Assuming I want the power for W10, decent battery, good enough camera, wireless charging (or optional case) and not a piece of junk what are my best options?

Is a second hand 925/930 the way to go, or is a 640/XL (if there is a wireless charging 640 option) going to be better. What about that new 550 or is it rubbish? Anyone tried the Blu phones or whatever they're called?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

550 is a low end phone so might not suit you. I've a Blu Win HD LTE (LTE part is very important, the non LTE edition is older and has a slower processor). It's great value for money. I'm not using it as my day to day phone as I'm waiting on Windows 10 but it is a very impressive phone. Buttery smooth and great battery life. The only downside for me, coming from android, is the lack of apps. Hopefully, Windows 10 helps improve that. There is rumour of a Lumia 850 which would be a step down from the 950 so that might also be an option if it's real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

550 is a low end phone so might not suit you. I've a Blu Win HD LTE (LTE part is very important, the non LTE edition is older and has a slower processor). It's great value for money. I'm not using it as my day to day phone as I'm waiting on Windows 10 but it is a very impressive phone. Buttery smooth and great battery life. The only downside for me, coming from android, is the lack of apps. Hopefully, Windows 10 helps improve that. There is rumour of a Lumia 850 which would be a step down from the 950 so that might also be an option if it's real.
    Thanks will check that out. I also saw apparent leaked 650 images yesterday, so maybe that'll be an option in the near future too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

g0g wrote: »
    Thanks will check that out. I also saw apparent leaked 650 images yesterday, so maybe that'll be an option in the near future too.

I didn't even know that was leaked. Hopefully, these hit the market soonish and show some good sales numbers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Did you consider the 930 much?

I know its been around awhile but it has plenty of good points, glance and microSD aside

Davy wrote: »
    Did you consider the 930 much?

I know its been around awhile but it has plenty of good points, glance and microSD aside
    Looks nice, hadn't considered them. although a quick scan on Adverts suggests >€ 230 is the going rate?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Looks nice, hadn't considered them. although a quick scan on Adverts suggests >€ 230 is the going rate?

I dont think you would find one cheaper than that in good condition.

What budget had you in mind?
    For the specs you listed in the first post I don't see an option to beat the 930.

Davy wrote: »
    I dont think you would find one cheaper than that in good condition.

What budget had you in mind?
    For the specs you listed in the first post I don't see an option to beat the 930.
    I was kinda thinking around € 150 or so, but I'd stretch higher fora brand new phone if it's a recent enough model. My wife got a 640 earlier this year which I like but am not crazy about.

I was kinda thinking around € 150 or so, but I'd stretch higher fora brand new phone if it's a recent enough model. My wife got a 640 earlier this year which I like but am not crazy about.

I wouldn't view the 640 in the same league, it is very popular though. What arent you crazy about?

Build on the 930 is very good, feels premium. The camera is also higher spec. The one thing 640 would have is the external card option, but for the camera and build quality I would go with the 930, and then wireless charging to seal it.

930 runs W10 very well in my experience with it. I haven't used the 640 with W10 so cant compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just in case anyone is interested, there's a few lumia phones going in the Warehouse Deals section of amazon.co.uk / .fr / .de / .es sites - 30% off (theres a general thread in bargain alerts about the sale)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I think my 920 is sadly starting to die. Battery life is not great at all, plus I'd like a change anyway. Is the reckoning that there'll be some new mid-range phones next year?

Assuming I want the power for W10, decent battery, good enough camera, wireless charging (or optional case) and not a piece of junk what are my best options?

Is a second hand 925/930 the way to go?

925 would be a bit disappointing, 930 would be a good step up from your 920

(I've had 820 -> 920 (got stolen :() -> 925 -> 930)

Not sure what the prices are second hand but I swapped a newish Chinese android phone worth about €150 for a decent condition second hand 930 last year. I sure wouldn't pay much more than €150 for a second hand 930 now

I have seen second hand 920s go for €70 or €80 on adverts last year. At that money it is superb value for money although obviously the batteries are not likely to have a lot of time left in them.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the advice. Got lucky (I think) on Adverts yesterday and picked up a 930 for € 150. Love the look and feel of it, and definitely notice the difference in performance! Am I right in saying this has a few other features than the 920? If so, where can I find out about them!? Was there something at some stage about being able to record timelapse or something?

Hopefully recover a reasonable amount selling the 920 now!

Thanks all for the advice. Got lucky (I think) on Adverts yesterday and picked up a 930 for € 150. Love the look and feel of it, and definitely notice the difference in performance! Am I right in saying this has a few other features than the 920? If so, where can I find out about them!? Was there something at some stage about being able to record timelapse or something?

Hopefully recover a reasonable amount selling the 920 now!

Well wear :)

930 is a big step up from the 920 and you did well getting one for €150 just like I did last year :D

You running Windows 10 on it yet?

930 is a big step up from the 920 and you did well getting one for €150 just like I did last year :D

unkel wrote: »

Yeah it's on W10 fast ring, as was my 920 before it. Absolutely loving it so far. The only problems I have are software rather than hardware I think.
    1) Swype not working within browser sessions - covered on the other thread.
    2) I find in mail I often click delete within a message and it returns to inbox and the same message is still sitting there!

But yeah I'm loving it overall! :)

Only 3 feckin months later and I managed to smash the screen yesterday! I reckon repair will cost as much a the phone cost me! I did originally have it in a clear silicon case, but I found the Ikea lamp wireless charger I have didn't always seem to connect easily so I took it back off. Anyways I'm back in the market to replace. There's nothing else new out there yet that floats my boat. Reckon I'd pick a second hand one again for € 140 or less? Seem to be some people on Adverts looking for mad money like € 200+!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Only 3 feckin months later and I managed to smash the screen yesterday! I reckon repair will cost as much a the phone cost me! I did originally have it in a clear silicon case, but I found the Ikea lamp wireless charger I have didn't always seem to connect easily so I took it back off. Anyways I'm back in the market to replace. There's nothing else new out there yet that floats my boat. Reckon I'd pick a second hand one again for € 140 or less? Seem to be some people on Adverts looking for mad money like € 200+!

I sold mine for 125 and it was in very good nick. You can get one for about the same, I reckon.

I'd get another 930 if I were you. And dump that Ikea charger :D

But seriously I too find wireless charging to be very hit and miss with cheap chargers when the cover is on the phone. Works fine though with the original Nokia wireless charger that Nokia gave out for free when I originnaly got my 820 :)

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I sold mine for 125 and it was in very good nick. You can get one for about the same, I reckon.
    Someonegota good deal from you! :) Absolute min I can see oneon Adverts for at moment after haggle is maybe 150.
    unkel wrote: »
    I'd get another 930 if I were you. And dump that Ikea charger :D

But seriously I too find wireless charging to be very hit and miss with cheap chargers when the cover is on the phone. Works fine though with the original Nokia wireless charger that Nokia gave out for free when I originnaly got my 820 :)
    Yeah probably have to switch back to original one which is a pity.

Advertisement