Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: p-nitroanaline

Options
  • 15-12-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Does anybody know anything about the chemical p-nitroanaline and its toxicity?

I have been using this in experiments on and off for the past 2 years, mainly for calibration curves.

I normally grind it up and dissolve in water, and sometimes DMSO. Generally using 173mg at a time.

I have sniffed it occasionally but never inhaled massively into my lungs or anything.

I have recently learned that it is quite toxic and should be handled with care. However as many over state the health hazards (which of course a good thing), I am worried if i should be genuinely concerned about my usage of the stuff.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

So, this is bordering on asking for medical advice which isn't allowed on these forms. If you are concerned go see a doctor. That is the only advice that can be given.

I would also take a very dim view of anyone who told you to ignore safety information. Also, many aniline compounds are known carcinogens.

I would however from a personal safety point of view suggest that you become accustomed with the risks associated with the use of any chemicals. Particularly certain chemicals come with the possibility of cumulative risks or long term effects which may not be immediately obvious.

A good example is comparing something like conc sulphuric acid and an organomercury compound. If you spill conc sulphuric acid on yourself you will be immediately aware and the resulting damage will be more or less immediately obvious - thus while it poses a hazard, it poses a much smaller chronic risk. Mercury compounds have very few if any obvious immediate effects but potentially devastating longterm effects and effects from chronic exposure.

This is one of the reasons people can often declare chemicals "safe" despite hazard warnings - one exposure is unlikely to do damage that is immediately noticeable thus people form the opinion that the safety information is over cautions - and it may well be from the point of view of a once in a lifetime user however anyone who is planning on working with chemicals for any length of time would be well advised to think differently.

The best advice is to educate yourself, there are many good sources of information. websites like http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0449.html
    MSDS from suppliers. Books that are subject specific like vogel or https://books.google.ie/books?id=rIpUAAAAMAAJ&q=chemical+safety+book&dq=chemical+safety+book&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjB6tiq_eLJAhUG9g4KHSNaCV8Q6AEIMDAB

You should ask your supervisor for help too, but remember ultimately it is you is going to have to deal with the consequences so stay informed and stay safe!

Advertisement