Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym in Dublin I can train at short term?

Options
  • 15-12-2015 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hey everyone, might be a long shot but I'm just home for 2 weeks from abroad and wondering if there's any MMA gyms I can train at? Even if I have to sign up for the month that would be ok. Have a few months experience now and just wanna keep it up over the holidays.

I live in Terenure and have a car. I haven't lived in Dublin for 2 years now so not really aware of what gyms are around me. Last time I checked, SBG only did long term memberships. Any other places I'd be welcome at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

AFAIK you can pay per class/week in SBG for flying visits. Seems to be people dropping in all the time now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

Isn't the SBG rate for drop ins like, 20 euro??

Seems a bit steep...

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

That's for an all access pass for one day, there's a rate for weekly and monthly which are better value if you're there for longer.

Contact the gym and find out - (01) 460 4845.

We're open from 6:30-10, with classes and then open mat all day - so it's not bad considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Richy06 wrote: »
    That's for an all access pass for one day, there's a rate for weekly and monthly which are better value if you're there for longer.

Contact the gym and find out - (01) 460 4845.

We're open from 6:30-10, with classes and then open mat all day - so it's not bad considering.

Are there Muay Thai classes daily? Looking at popping in a couple of times while I'm still in Dublin in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,862 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Could try Spartan just up the road in Tallaght

https://m.facebook.com/StcIreland/

Mma gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Isn't the SBG rate for drop ins like, 20 euro??

Seems a bit steep...

Twenty quid for a days admission is pretty decent IMO.

Clubs who train part time would charge you a tenner to roll for an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

jimmii wrote: »
    Are there Muay Thai classes daily? Looking at popping in a couple of times while I'm still in Dublin in January.

Yup, usually a couple of classes a day - beginners with no sparring and intermediate with, so depending on your level you'd be well catered for. Ring for more info or visit the website, it has all our relevant emails and such. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,343 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

CM24 wrote: »
    I live in Terenure and have a car. I haven't lived in Dublin for 2 years now so not really aware of what gyms are around me. Last time I checked, SBG only did long term memberships. Any other places I'd be welcome at?

I've never used it, but isn't there a gym in Terenure beside the Lidl? Think its pretty new, might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Thanks for the replies guys. Leaning towards SBG at the moment. I used to be a member of the old gym on the Long Mile Road, just before they moved facilities. Hopefully I can still avoid signing up fees and that.

Be very handy to have somewhere that stays open all day as well, since I'm not working for the mo and I'm really bored during the day! Be nice to have somewhere just to do a bit of bag work and stretching and stuff. Am I right in thinking there's weights section there now too? I'm fairly in to lifting so have been looking for somewhere to lift too. I'll check it out tomorrow.
    I've never used it, but isn't there a gym in Terenure beside the Lidl? Think its pretty new, might be worth checking out.

A family member mentioned that to me but judging from the website, it seems like just a traditional karate gym.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Phone SBG and ask if you can pay a flat fee for two weeks, you're visiting and looking to train, they will do you a deal, I've done it for BJJ before and they were really decent about pricing. Loved rolling on that big open vinyl matt as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Richy06 wrote: »
    Yup, usually a couple of classes a day - beginners with no sparring and intermediate with, so depending on your level you'd be well catered for. Ring for more info or visit the website, it has all our relevant emails and such. :)

Excellent cheers!

Twenty quid for a days admission is pretty decent IMO.

Clubs who train part time would charge you a tenner to roll for an hour or two.

I'd much prefer if I could pay 10 euro for one evening session.

I'm a student currently and my funds are tight as hell.
    I travel far to train also, 20 euro hurts me.

Phone SBG and ask if you can pay a flat fee for two weeks, you're visiting and looking to train, they will do you a deal, I've done it for BJJ before and they were really decent about pricing. Loved rolling on that big open vinyl matt as well.

I got in touch with SBG about my situation and finances available, and was told straight up what was on offer.
    They didn't seem to be offering any special deal.

I got in touch with SBG about my situation and finances available, and was told straight up what was on offer.
    They didn't seem to be offering any special deal.

Well maybe time have changed?

Well maybe time have changed?

I was in touch with them last week...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

SBG dont need to make deals with anyone in fairness,they have some amount of members paying full memberships the gym is booming cant blame them not cutting people deals.

I was in touch with them last week...

I was there for around week about two years ago. The gym probably has a fair few more paid up members now. At the time they had no problem working out a deal for bjj only for one week for me anyway.

I was there for around week about two years ago. The gym probably has a fair few more paid up members now. At the time they had no problem working out a deal for bjj only for one week for me anyway.

Well, like was mentioned, they got students coming out the door at this point.
    Mats are packed every night.

Why would they bother cutting deals now?

Times have obviously changed from when you were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

How much is a monthly membership for a student in SBG?
    Would you recommend starting off there or doing BJJ twice a week with the local club to get to grips with it and then join SBG when I have something behind me?

• Advertisement

BOHtox wrote: »
    How much is a monthly membership for a student in SBG?
    Would you recommend starting off there or doing BJJ twice a week with the local club to get to grips with it and then join SBG when I have something behind me?

If it's close to you and you can afford it just start St SBG, it will actually make it Easier as there will be way more people around your level as s beginner starting off than in a smaller club which makes it more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blump

I don't know what their timetable is like but Kamikaze fight academy have moved to a new premises in kcr industrial estate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

BOHtox wrote: »

If you're looking to do BJJ, go to a BJJ school, if you want to do a bit of this and a bit of that, go to a fight club.
    For BJJ schools in Dublin I'd recommend SBG, Jorge Santos ATOS, East Coast Jiu-Jitsu Academy, Gracie Barra Dublin or Northside BJJ.

The benefit of those clubs is they have classes pretty much every day, where as an all round MMA gym will have BJJ 2-3 times a week usually and a smaller base of players so your training partner choice is limited. The other benefit being that all of the clubs listed are headed up by a legitimate black belt with competition and teaching experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Defaoite83

Have you tried Raw Gym in City Centre
    I know they have Muay Thai classes with hanging bags

Advertisement