Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightroom Presets- paid preset packs vs. free ones

Options
  • 15-12-2015 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    There's always loads of Lightroom preset pack deals, like this. There's also some free packs so I'm wondering would you recommend any paid packs or free ones please?

I bought LR but it didn't install correctly, am going to buy it again this week (no, I don't want the online version).

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Whammy!

"VSCO Film" presets can be quite nice. They can be quite heavey handed on the Grain setting along with the faded black look. Their sharpening is always on the soft side too.
    As the name suggests the presets try to emulate many different kinds of film.
    Whether or not they accurately emulate them is another question...

But personally I think presets are a waste of money unless you actually learn something from using them.

If I come across a preset that I like I do not use it on my photos. Instead I break it down. Analise all the different parameters in Lightroom and try to understand the processes that are needed to achieve certain looks.
    Doing so has completely changed how I use the ToneCurve (R, G & B) along with the color balance by shifting hues, saturation & luminance.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I have used the slr lounge ones. They have brush presets as well which are handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

I would suggest to create them by yourself. You will be in controll and also You will gain some knowledge when You get Your favourite effects. Before i was fascinated too...One click and boom, but now i just want to be in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

Presets are quite good for consistent look from shoot to shoot, either purchased or made by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks for the replies, I bought one of the packs from the DPS deal. In the long run I plan to create my own but am happy to see what some are like (new to LR).
    Cheers,
    pa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement