Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is happening with new JC??

Options
  • 15-12-2015 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Having moved branches (ASTI)n Im out of the loop. I got impression ASTI leadership were surprised at rejection and were clueless on how to processed. I know they went around asking people why they voted No-but is that it? Next January-we have Orals in English. Are they going ahead?
    Personally I wanted to see two new posts per school to alleviate (somewhat) the new workload.

What Now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

Having moved branches (ASTI)n Im out of the loop. I got impression ASTI leadership were surprised at rejection and were clueless on how to processed. I know they went around asking people why they voted No-but is that it? Next January-we have Orals in English. Are they going ahead?
    Personally I wanted to see two new posts per school to alleviate (somewhat) the new workload.

What Now?

There doesn't seem to be any developments from the ASTI & DES. The TUI teachers & schools have started inservice. Have you contacted the ASTI and asked them what's happening? The oral assessment for English doesn't have to happen until next Sept but they will need to be prepared. The ASTI directive states that they won't be assessed by teachers so I assume they just won't happen in ASTI schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

What Now?

ASTI members voted No. Maybe for once that no has been heeded so why should there be a "what now?"

At our branch meeting after the rejection, when the leadership was circulating a questionnaire to find out why we voted no our branch members sent back a resounding rejection of the proposals to head office. As in "No,we're not looking for tweaks so you can ballot us again, we want to go back to the drawing board with a new Government and draw up a reform plan that everyone is satisfied with".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

[QUOTE=Jamfa;98091702 The ASTI directive states that they won't be assessed by teachers so I assume they just won't happen in ASTI schools.[/QUOTE]

Which constitutes two thirds of second level teachers. So one wonders what the TUI teachers will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

acequion wrote: »

Which constitutes two thirds of second level teachers. So one wonders what the TUI teachers will do?

Well they've agreed to the reforms so they'll do the classroom-based assessments I suppose but all teachers are bound to teach the new specification and the Assessment Task is linked to the second of these. The AT and final exam are set & marked by the SEC so not covered by the ASTI directives. It'll be interesting if teachers don't cover the new texts etc & the students go in prepared for an exam that doesn't exist anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

makes no odds (in asti school anyway) If you wanna do school assessment you do school assessment. If you dont, then dont.
    TUI... do exactly what your told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Advertisement