Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The state of RTEs Xmas schedule

Options
  • 15-12-2015 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

Just having a quick look through RTEs Xmas schedule and some of the "entertainment" I'll be avoiding like the plague:
    The Al porter show
    Panti Bliss - I know what your thinking and no its not because they are gay, it's because they are terrible and have little to no talent to be described as entertaining.
    Apres Match repeats rehashed as "best bits"

Don't bother with TV3 either;
    More Panti bliss
    Red Rock: The Story So Far
    The Great Irish Bake Off Christmas Special
    Ivan's Celebrity Pub Crawl

For some reason channels have stopped showing classics like Charlie and the chocolate factory (original),home alone and the wizard of Oz!

I'll be hoping for a decent box set for christmas! PM me - all gifts welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Jayz first rte losing the 6 Nations and now home alone. Pretty soon RTE is just gonna be the news and fair city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Just having a quick look through RTEs Xmas schedule and some of the "entertainment" I'll be avoiding like the plague:
    The Al porter show
    Panti Bliss - I know what your thinking and no its not because they are gay, it's because they are terrible and have little to no talent to be described as entertaining.

It is almost like you have never watched RTE before. Call it tradition or call it incompetence, sh!t presenters fronting cringe worthy parochial bore-fests is what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sky bought the exlusive rights to Home Alone and other Christmas movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

For some reason channels have stopped showing classics like Charlie and the chocolate factory (original),home alone and the Wizard of Oz!

The Wizard of Oz is on TV3 at 12:55pm on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

Sky bought the exlusive rights to Home Alone and other Christmas movies.

RTÉ One is showing Home Alone 2: Lost in New York on Wednesday 23rd December.

Channel 4 is showing Home Alone on Sunday 20th December, Home Alone 2 on Friday 25th December and Home Alone 3 on Saturday 26th December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

brian_t wrote: »

Channel 4 is showing Home Alone on Sunday 20th December, Home Alone 2 on Friday 25th December and Home Alone 3 on Saturday 26th December.

I must be wrong for those but they had bought up lots of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

brian_t wrote: »

The first one is the only one that is remotely worth watching.

If only technology existed that would allow people with access to the internet to view films in other ways that meant they were not dependent on TV channels to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

At least the Christmas movies are not too bad this year on RTE with a few season premieres like The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Gravity, Man of Steel and Elysium and so on.

You also have good ones like Lincoln, Les Miserables and Captain Phillips as well so it's not all bad.

http://www.thejournal.ie/movies-2-2482182-Dec2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

A Christmassy Ted in on Christmas Eve, the rest doesn't really matter,

Although there is a sad lack of Die Hard.

At least the Christmas movies are not too bad this year on RTE with a few season premieres like The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Gravity, Man of Steel and Elysium and so on.

You also have good ones like Lincoln, Les Miserables and Captain Phillips as well so it's not all bad.

http://www.thejournal.ie/movies-2-2482182-Dec2015/

Don't people not really depend on this any more. All those films are out ages and people don't depend on TV schedules now with Netflix, Sky Movies, DVDs, let alone illegal torrenting and streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Thank god for VLC player,,, "" R-D + VLC = :) ""

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't people not really depend on this any more. All those films are out ages and people don't depend on TV schedules now with Netflix, Sky Movies, DVDs, let alone illegal torrenting and streaming.

Speak for yourself - no SKY, no netflix (pay for films? over the internet?), DVD - never even owned a DVD player (other than in a PC).

Not that I look forward to Christmas films any more as they are usually awful mainstream sh'ite bar the odd season on something like BBC Four.

Speak for yourself - no SKY, no netflix (pay for films? over the internet?), DVD - never even owned a DVD player (other than in a PC).

Not that I look forward to Christmas films any more as they are usually awful mainstream sh'ite bar the odd season on something like BBC Four.

Well I would argue that you are in the minority.
    Also, Netflix works perfectly once you have the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The broadband bit is a big hindrance to alot of people. Either it's too slow or broadband companies are unable to connect you to it. Even people with Netflix would still watch TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

wish they had a few sports documenterys on

RTE could have had 'The Road To France 2016 The republic of irelands story' or Irelands six nations 2015 review

with Tv3 having the rugby world cup they could have a review sort of show.

going to be a depressing xmas tv wise :(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭briany

I understand that some people may have only limited access to Broadband and that they're posting to boards on a beaten up Galaxy G2 with Edge speed, but if I had to suffer with bad Internet access and therefore may have to turn to RTE, I would instead very strongly consider reading an actual book and turning the TV off. A radical measure, to be sure. And you never know, perhaps reading a book, while drinking a glass on a quiet(ish) Christmas Eve/Night might not be too bad a way to spend the holiday.

But thank f**k I do have decent broadband is all I can say. I'll spend Xmas Eve flicking through feeds on Twitch TV. Like a normal person. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought the films looked all right.

They may be out ages but I haven't seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If people have crap broadband like myself then I will watch some Christmas movies like the rest of them.

The one I will be looking forward to is Anchorman 2 as I seen the 1st movie and it was very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

The one I will be looking forward to is Anchorman 2 as I seen the 1st movie and it was very funny.

Sorry to ruin you Christmas, but....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rte wha? kodi all the way lads!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The Al porter show

Don't bother with TV3 either;
    More Panti bliss
    Red Rock: The Story So Far
    The Great Irish Bake Off Christmas Special
    Ivan's Celebrity Pub Crawl

For some reason channels have stopped showing classics like Charlie and the chocolate factory (original),home alone and the wizard of Oz!

I'll be hoping for a decent box set for christmas! PM me - all gifts welcome!

Yeah, some awful stuff in there alright. Typical Irish Christmas TV. I've seen clips of this Al Porter man and if this is comedy, we have a problem. We have had way too much Panti Bliss. Rory O'Neill is milking this act for all it is worth. And speaking of drag queens being milked to death, we have a Mrs Brown overdose too. I'm pretty sure there's some bad Irish boyfolk country music and boybands stuck in there for us too. This is all dire stuff. Things like the Celebrity Pub Crawl are more of same old stuff. If this is the best they can offer at Christmas .....

I will watch DVDs of good films, TV series and music. There's plenty to watch and one does not need to resort to any of this poor viewing that RTE and TV3 put on for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Comparing UTV Ireland's schedule to UTVNI is worse.
    On Christmas Eve, on UTV there is Back To The Future 2, Small Soldiers, National Lampoon Xmas Vacation, Bill & Ted.
    On UTV Ireland there is A Christmas Star and Shall We Dance

Don't see much wrong with RTE's schedule. Christmas Eve from 6-10 has all new programming and then a film premiere after that.
    Christmas Day has 2 film premieres, along with hour long specials of Eastenders, Fair City and At Your Service - all of which are popular with their audience. Pitch Perfect, Hozier, U2 and One Direction offer a decent alternative on RTE2 on Christmas Day.

TV3 notoriously don't put much effort into xmas, but do have a few specials like Evicted At Christmas, Ivan's Pub Crawl, Irelands Christmas Lights and Coming Home For Christmas. But not much film premieres. But I guess they may as well keep them for during next year, and not up against premieres and blockbusters on RTE and BBC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah, some awful stuff in there alright. Typical Irish Christmas TV. I've seen clips of this Al Porter man and if this is comedy, we have a problem. We have had way too much Panti Bliss. Rory O'Neill is milking this act for all it is worth. And speaking of drag queens being milked to death, we have a Mrs Brown overdose too. I'm pretty sure there's some bad Irish boyfolk country music and boybands stuck in there for us too. This is all dire stuff. Things like the Celebrity Pub Crawl are more of same old stuff. If this is the best they can offer at Christmas .....

I will watch DVDs of good films, TV series and music. There's plenty to watch and one does not need to resort to any of this poor viewing that RTE and TV3 put on for Christmas.

For some reason I don't understand Mrs Brown is actually very popular, mainly with the older crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

iseegirls wrote: »

TV3 notoriously don't put much effort into xmas, but do have a few specials like Evicted At Christmas,

Good old TV3.

Don't ever change.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Think I'll be going to my collection for a few movies to watch!!

Definitely do an Indiana Jones on Christmas Day,

Any movie on TV3 won't be worth it simply because of the 5 minute ad breaks every 10 minutes!!
    At least RTÉ tend to tone down the ad frequency for movies at Christmas (I hope I haven't jinxed it)

Christmas TV (on all channels) has been dire the last few years anyway!! So I think I'll just load up a load of movies on a flash drive, and work off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

A real christmassy movie for me is true lies. it could be the opening scene in the swiss alps.

Advertisement