Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent Hikes

• 14-12-2015 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I am interested to find out how many people have had massive increases in their rent in Galway city . I know of many cases since the announcement of the Rent Freeze

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Caggles wrote: »
    I am interested to find out how many people have had massive increases in their rent in Galway city . I know of many cases since the announcement of the Rent Freeze

Me. Almost 20%.

Happening all over the country, thanks to the government's clumsy handling of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

landlord tried to change my rent for a single bed room near the hospital to 115 a week. thats 500 a month.

I moved out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

my rent reduced ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Does it mean that the rent can't be increased more than once in two years.
    So if you haven't had an increase in two years can the landlord not increase the rent in line with the two year agreement ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Net result of the law, rent increases every two years for many people, like clockwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

My rent was actually reduced a few years ago, but was recently raised back to same levels as then.

I suppose supply and demand has a big role to play here too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Mine wasn't, but I'd only moved in. My housemates doubled (although she was paying next to nothing)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Mine stayed the same but our landlord realises we keep the place nice and the alternative is filling it with students who'd only usually stay a year and are way more hassle. Our next door neighbours are paying 300 a month more than us so obviously we don't bother the landlord for anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Caggles

interesting as I have met many people who have had massive hikes the Monday after the announcement of rent freeze some tenants from the same landlord had rent hikes up 300 quid a month

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Supply and demand I'm afraid. Far too many people looking to rent and not enough rental property available in the private sector. Public sector housing has all but disappeared - another legacy of the way Zanu FF destroyed the country in the 70's and 80's......:mad:

I can only see the situation getting worse - All these Syrians etc that we're getting are going to have to be housed somewhere.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Haven't had a rent increase. Been in the same house 6 years and infact when we had a rough patch about 2 years ago the landlord temporarily reduced the rent to keep us in the property.
    Similar house on daft is probably 300 more a month. Be a good tenant, have a good landlord, no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Be a good tenant, have a good landlord, no problems

I am, and I have.

Had been paying well below market rent for quite some time. The new rent is pretty much market rent, so I've nothing to complain about. But I'm sure it was the talk of rent-freeze legislation that prompted him to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Our rent is going up 10.5% this month. It was a bit under market rates though so couldn't really challenge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

no increase over 3 yrs, probably well below maket value but we 100% tenants, pay the bills & keep the place in tip top & neighbours happy

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

I do NOT miss Galway city with all these hikes. Lived just outside Salthill for 800p/m, left 2 years ago, I now pay 400p/m in a rural house which is way bigger and brand new. I saw my old place on Daft recently, it was 950p/m!!

Also, our landlord now is the soundest man on the planet - that's a bonus!

Plus, I was in Galway city 2 days ago, the traffic is another thing I don't miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We were paying 800pm for a lovely, redecorated, modern city centre apartment for the past five years. Moved into our own home today. While chatting with our previous landlord he said he will be looking for 1000pm when he puts it back on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Left almost 4 years ago at the peak of the recession. The prices in some areas came down a little but for the most part, it seemed like the rent didn't shake much at all. Ditto for businesses, thus a few Galway main stay businesses that were doing very well have closed down.

I feel sorry for the 30 and unders, starting off with much lower pay than back before 2006

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

900pm to 1200pm :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

I was planning to move back to Ireland - to Galway but when we moved out 3 years ago I paid 800 for a nice house in Renmore, now in daft I cant see many houses at all, and if there is any, it cost 1200 - O M G ! How can one afford that, are the wages increas as well ?

pepe00 wrote: »
    are the wages increas as well ?

No :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

www.daft.ie/21608197
    It's crazy what squabbles people who try to pass off as livable. Greed is one word

www.daft.ie/21608197
    It's crazy what squabbles people who try to pass off as livable. Greed is one word

Back in 2010. I went to look at a one bedroom 'apartment' down at the back of Raleigh Row. Easily the roughest place I have ever seen and I don't mean the area. The apartment was really just a room slightly bigger than my bedroom at home. Paint was chipping off the walls. There was mould everywhere and they weren't even trying to hide it. I passed on it but it was snatched up or at least taken off Daft soon afterwards.

Advertisement