Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alarm System Advise (w/good interoperability)

Options
  • 14-12-2015 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm moving into a new pre-wired home and looking at intruder alarms for the first time.
    I will definitely get a professional to install it and most likely will get it monitored by a CMS.

Although I do appreciate the ability (new) systems have of remote maintenance/support, I also do like the feeling of being in control of my own system. I suppose I'm looking for a system where I give the CMS the ability to monitor and operate over my system, rather than being the CMS "allowing" me to monitor/operate on it.

Also, I found most of the systems to be very closed in terms of interoperability, with proprietary (secret) interfaces/protocols. I understand the benefits in terms of security, but as a big plus I would like a system "easy to talk to" so I'm able to develop my own software to communicate with it (for home automation for example). When I say easy, I mean without requiring some nasty hacking to get it done (I don't want to mess with the integrity/reliability of the system).

So, with this in mind the pre-requisites are:

- Known reliable brand (HKC, Visonic, Siemens, Honeywell, etc...);
    - Hybrid control panel;
    - Control/management/status from local PC (arm/disarm, sensor status) without depending on a CMS or cloud service;
    - Good interoperability with other systems;
    - Register email/SMS* for alerts (directly with control panel);
    - Allow for GMS* control operations (optional);
    - Cloud service and mobile app (welcome but optional);

*I'm aware I will need to get a GMS module and get a service provider.

What can you guys tell me from your experience, is there such a system out there?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I think Siemens/Vanderbilt ticks all the boxes there.
    You have a serial port which can be programmed for X10 commands among other things.
    It will allow you 2 way control via GSM as well as IP connection to cloud or direct to panel IP address.
    Good interoperability using mapping gates & cause & effect.

AFAIK HKC Have blocked something on the serial port and also stated connection of 3rd party equipment will void the warranty.
    They also do not allow direct IP connection to the panel for some reason.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cwdix

Thanks for the fast reply KoolKid.

I add a look to the SPC panels and they do look quiet promising. Having an integrated WebServer allowing direct IP connection is a great feature. Don't know why other manufacturers don't have it or are even removing it from newer product generations (Visonic).

Anyway, I looked particularly at SPC4320 and SPC5320 as these have integrated Ethernet. From what I could understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), technology wise they're kind of the same, only the later supports more stuff (areas, keypads, zones, etc...).

One thing that got me confused (being new to alarm stuff) was the difference between 'areas' and 'zones' (tbh I only understand de definition of a sensor). Is a zone a group of sensors and an area a group of zones, and how does that work?

SPC 4320
    Programmable areas 4
    Number of on-board zones 8
    Max. number of hardwired zones 32
    Max. number of wireless zones 32 (take away wired zones)

SPC 5320
    Programmable areas 16
    Number of on-board zones 8
    Max. number of hardwired zones 128
    Max. number of wireless zones 120 (take away wired zones)

Also, the fact that the specs mention 'Number of on-board zones 8' and 'Max. number of hardwired zones 32/128', does this mean it requires some sort of expansion card to achieve that number?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi
    The only reason I see for not allowing direct IP connection is to force you to pay for remote access.
    A zone is a sensor, or a group of sensors in the one location. Eg. Lounge windows, kitchen windows,upstairs back etc.
    Consider areas as seperate alarm systems that can be armed /independent of the other.
    Eg House, Garage, Shed, Granny Flat.
    You're correct re the 5320 basically has more capacity than the 4320.
    Extra zones are added via 8 zone expanders and/or wireless devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cwdix

Hi,

Seems about right in terms of business model... lock down and pay me for the service instead :)

Seems like only 8 on-board is a bit limiting, it kind of forces you on getting an expander (still the panel looks an excellent option).
    I've been trying to get an idea of the price on the SPC range online, but I'm not being very successful, any ideas on where to look?

Also, it seems like the options in sensory if a bit limiting, specially on the wireless range (or is it just my impression? - I've been looking on the Vanderbilt website). Is there any compatibility with other manufactures sensors (both wired and wireless)?

Really appreciate your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭uli84

Sorry for hijack, just had wired alarm installed in a new pre-wired house. Apparently there is incomplete cabling on 3 windows, anybody knows how it works-is it possible that this cable is somewhere kinda hidden. Is there any way to check? Im so angry.

• Advertisement

Is there a loop that's broken or is it just a case that there is no cables at some windows?
    You can check for buried cables using an oscillator .

cable-finder-with-tone-generator.jpg?w=283&h=283&r=4&o=4zKL4$KmHiVtjizyyOsEuvPzBi4j&V=T6Ce

Advertisement