Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia gaming festival Ireland 2016

Options
  • 13-12-2015 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭

https://insomniagamingfestival.com/event-lineup-2016/
    10TH – 12TH JUNE 2016
    Venue: INEC Killarney
    Insomnia Gaming Ireland, takes more great content to 5000 Irish fans, and includes everything consumers have come to expect from the UK’s biggest gaming festivals, including an incredible main stage line-up, BYOC, the best publishers exhibiting the biggest games, BYOC and more zones, including Minecraft and FIFA 16.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

has anyone come across a line up of whats actually going on?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nope, they brushed me off with my queries. All I know there is cosplay and a 1000 euro CS GO tournament. And some youtube celebs I never heard about before.

Saturday is completely booked out btw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I know they have a retro zone and a mincraft zone, what normally happens in their UK events?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

31 quid a ticket :o

great week for gaming though, go to insomnia, straight into e3 for the week :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

jonnycivic wrote: »
    31 quid a ticket :o

It's crazy money for a day yeah but exhibition halls/conference centres are charging a bomb these days. I know this because I hosted a 250 man LAN last September and we charged 50 quid and just about broke even (do your maths there lads).

This years prices are insanely high and we probably cant do another without hiking the prices...

It's crazy money for a day yeah but exhibition halls/conference centres are charging a bomb these days. I know this because I hosted a 250 man LAN last September and we charged 50 quid and just about broke even (do your maths there lads).

This years prices are insanely high and we probably cant do another without hiking the prices...

I'd gladly pay €50+ to take part in something like that, but €31 for a day long exhibit seems.. eh. Especially when, realistically, it's not like they'll be announcing anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I'd gladly pay €50+ to take part in something like that, but €31 for a day long exhibit seems.. eh. Especially when, realistically, it's not like they'll be announcing anything.

Yeah to participate and all it would be grand paying €50 but If I was to go and bring the young lad with me its gonna cover over 60 before I count in food/travel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Weekend pass for €45 is what we got. Covers Friday to Sunday. And got the last apartment in the Gleneagle! Yurt!

I'm looking forward to it, never been to anything like it before. Even if it will be nowhere near E3, it's still better than the nothing we currently have here! First year for them too, so it'll be a tester for next year.

Also find it funny that it's run/owned partially by Game, and GameStop is an official partner!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I find it funny that it's run/owned partially by Game, and GameStop is an official partner!

75 quid games for all... :)

69.99 for second hand copies... ;)

• Advertisement

anyone there today? whats it like

heading down tomorrow for the day myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

dunworth1 wrote: »
    anyone there today? whats it like

heading down tomorrow for the day myself

let us know if its any good dunworth, Id give a spin over on sunday if its worth checking out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Even if it will be nowhere near E3, it's still better than the nothing we currently have here! First year for them too, so it'll be a tester for next year.

You know that big LAN events have been happening in Ireland for almost 20 years right? I've been personally involved in several of the biggest, but they stopped happening primarily because cause no one would bother their holes to attend anymore. World Cyber Games (when they were still a thing) qualifiers were held in the Digital Hub for a few years - space for 200 people. My first LAN was at Gaelcon in '98 where there were about 70 people in attendance for Quakapalooza. Same again the following year.

cherryghost (and others I'm sure, sorry folks, not familiar with your team) is now running DOTA LANs.

Doom and the Fighting Games guys are running regular events all over the country (and are now on the Capcom Tour for SF5).

Dig a little deeper, you'll find that all this stuff is already available all across the country :)

It would be so unbelievably ironic to be banned from Comeonbanus, Shiminay. And I may have just realized it.

Can I become a member so I can get banned?

My impressions so far.

It's better than I expected it to be.
    Decent amount of consoles to play.
    Games include uncharted halo overwatch fifa and minecraft

There's a retro zone which has N64 ps1 dreamcast etc.

Gamestop seem to be cleaning up.

Age group is young alright lots of 12—14 year olds.

I'm in the main hall now waiting for clash of the creators to start.

All in all I don't think its too bad at all tbh
    But this isy first "gaming festival"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Shiminay wrote: »
    You know that big LAN events have been happening in Ireland for almost 20 years right?

I've seen a few advertised, but I meant there was no E3 style events here. I wouldn't be a massive LAN player, and I want a more broad experience, and I don't believe the LAN parties would have such diversity, but i'm open to correction. Something to look into maybe.

I ended up just attending the Saturday. And i'm glad. It was interesting, being my first event like this, so the anticipation was high. It had a lot of stuff, but I personally felt it was mainly aimed at kids, like, young kids. Way too many in my way.

It had loads of games to play; Rocket League, Trackmania Turbo, SFV, Uncharted 4, Halo, Guitar Hero/Rock Band, and lots more, can't remember the others. Some interesting stalls selling everything and anything, GameStop making a killing as dunworth said (they actually had an amazing deal of a 1TB Xbox One, 3 Tom Clancy games in digital download, Halo 6, Quantum Break and Battleborn for €300). The staff even stated that the Microsoft rep might have added more if you bought it.

The retro zone was alright, nearly every home console was there, and it was fun having a blast on a few old games, but it was very tight, and was a dead end so you have to fight back through the 3 wide crowd to get back out of it.

The 18+ zone was pants. 20 odd Xbox 360's playing MW2, MW3 and Halo LAN games. That was it.

The shows were alright, but again aimed at kids. I could see a few of the Twitchers/YouTubers behaving themselves something fierce.

Overall, I was done with the floor events within a few hours, and only returned to it to see the shows. There was a VR room, but they announced that at 11 and when I went to go to it at 12 I was told it was booked out!

But, I still had one of the best weekends of my life. At 20.30 on the Saturday, there was a 16+ pub quiz, which was very good. The 3 main presenters relaxed and it was definitely more entertaining. After that, there was drinks galore, and I spent the next few hours having drinks with GassyMexican, Terroriser, Minyon Rog and Petso from Alco Irish Gamers, Mini Ladd and Vladtobehere. And they were more than receptive. Even giving me tips about how to start off twitching.

Finally, spoke to one of the organisers, and he agreed that it was aimed too much towards kids, but because it's their first year they needed to be broad and it somehow ended up being more towards the kids. He stated that the UK versions have more adult content, and if they come back it is something they will address.

Overall, it was grand, ruined (for me) by being too child friendly, but redeemed by an amazing pub quiz and session with the youtube millionaires! I'll go again next year!

had a good time, ended up drinking and chatting with utorak007, gassymexican all saturday night :D

I didn't see the vr room where was that?

Advertisement