Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making shirts shiny

Options
  • 13-12-2015 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

I guess a question on shirt maintenance

whenever you buy a new shirt its always v nice and shiny, however after a few wears and washes the gloss or shine is gone off it, even though its not worn

is there something that new shirts are washed in that makes shirts look shiny as I don't think its the material

what can I use put the shine/new look back on my shirts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

New cotton fabric is treated with a "dressing" which helps to stop it fraying or getting soiled during manufacturing and sewing, packing etc.
    It does wash off in a few washes: you can recapture a similar effect by using laundry starch.

In the olden days this was a solution that you would dip the wet clothes into and then hang to dry: they would be ironed while still just barely damp for maximum crispness.
    Nowadays it is an aerosol spray-can type of thing that you spray on the clothes after washing and drying: and, again, iron carefully before it gets completely dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

katemarch wrote: »
    New cotton fabric is treated with a "dressing" which helps to stop it fraying or getting soiled during manufacturing and sewing, packing etc.
    It does wash off in a few washes: you can recapture a similar effect by using laundry starch.

In the olden days this was a solution that you would dip the wet clothes into and then hang to dry: they would be ironed while still just barely damp for maximum crispness.
    Nowadays it is an aerosol spray-can type of thing that you spray on the clothes after washing and drying: and, again, iron carefully before it gets completely dry.

What is the aerosol thing called

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭PanicStations

It's called spray starch, there are a few different brands. You'll find it in a supermarket beside the washing powders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

It will also depend on the weave used - poplin shirts will naturally have a slight sheen to them because of the tightness of the weave whereas a more casual textured shirt like an oxford won't. To be honest though, no shirt should be 'shiny'. If you're finding that they're looking worn after just a few washes the shirts themselves are probably poor quality. Are you buying some kind of polyester blend shirts?

Advertisement