Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Total War?

Options
  • 13-12-2015 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Planning on getting a Total War game for the first time and i am struggling to choose which. I was wondering what is everyone's favorite and what would you suggest to someone who is new to the series to buy?

What is your favorite Total War? 29 votes

Shogun
    0% 0 votes
    Medieval
    13% 4 votes
    Rome
    3% 1 vote
    Medieval 2
    37% 11 votes
    Empire
    27% 8 votes
    Nepoleon
    10% 3 votes
    Shogun
    0% 0 votes
    Rome
    6% 2 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Depends really on what historical time period interests you the most.

Shogun 2 is highly thought of. I havent played it much mainly because that setting doesnt interest me and the factions are all pretty similar.

Rome 2 is very good as well and worth it. The first Rome isnt probably worth it with Rome 2 out.

Empire is only worth playing with Darth Mod which improves it a lot. Napoleon is a more polished version of Empire but limited to Europe.

Medieval 2 is good but probably a bit dated now though theres loads of great mods for it.

I'd probably recommend Rome 2 but as i said it depends on what era interests you the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Lord of the Rings Mod for Med 2 was great, and apparently they've expanded it. Also GoT and Warhammer mods for it.
    Empire was a lot more expansive, you could go pretty much anywhere, but if you wanted to do something campaign specific (e.g. playing as Prussia and uniting all the Germanics), it got kinda bland.
    Bought Rome 2 but never played it, Rome 1 was great though.

I'd recommend Napoleon just because I like that period of history, but they're all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

Exactly as Pablo put it, choose what interests you.

Rome 2 (especially now that it's fixed) is technically the best, but can feel too large a scale.

Shogun 2 has the scale better, a good mix of rock (swords), paper (archers), scissors (cavalry) to it.

But if you prefer muskets, cannons, Napoleon and bayonet charges (my preference) then a Darth Mod (free and easy download) Empire is good. Taking on Indians - Apache and Moghul -and good Naval combat breaks it up. Peninsular Campaign also good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Being a Classicist, it always had to be Rome II. :) Nice blend of city management and the various units make it a fun game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Rome 2 is the biggest waste of money and time I've ever spent on a game. It's horrible, buggy, and no fun whatsoever.

Rome 1 and Medieval 2 for me. I say that with a bit of nostalgia though, I'm sure they look a little rough now. Shogun 1 is great fun now but looks so old I couldn't stand to go back to it.

But I don't care how great Shogun 2 or Rome 2 look, the gameplay just isn't as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

My main games are Medieval 2, Shogun and Empire.

Medieval keeps getting revisited. Very enjoyable game and can be got for pennies.

I loved Shogun, great game but my computer strains to play it unfortunately.

Empire is fine, but my god, the campaign is overwhelming in relation to the others. Go with the other two first. Medieval of you want variety in the forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Medieval 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Medieval 2 was probably the best, but it hasn't aged that well.

These days, Shogun 2 or Rome 2 - depending on which era you prefer yourself. They're both very good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Just in case the OP isn't aware:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Btw, HumbleBundle have a Total War encore bundle for the next 4 days;

$1 for Total War Medieval II & Shogun collection
    $9.27 for above & Medieval I,Shogun 2,Napoleon & Empire
    $15 for above & Rome II with DLC's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Empire for me. The scope of regions, North America, India, North Africa, and Europe increases its replayability like none of the others. But definitely only with Darthmod otherwise India will invade Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Shogun 2 - imo the most well balanced, graphically beautiful, not a system hog and very easy to learn the game.

Fall of the samurai expansion adds ballistic weapons, muskets, rifles, and cannon, as well as naval artillery and changes the campaign into that tom cruise movie.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Just in case the OP isn't aware:

Well, that certainly simplifies the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

Worth mentioning there's a decent Darth Mod for Shogun 2 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Shogun 2 - imo the most well balanced, graphically beautiful, not a system hog and very easy to learn the game.

Fall of the samurai expansion adds ballistic weapons, muskets, rifles, and cannon, as well as naval artillery and changes the campaign into that tom cruise movie.

The only issue is that all the units move about so fast you can almost hear Benny Hill music going on. Ruins the game imo.

One of the things they got just right was unit movement in Medieval 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Atillia was on sale there recently.

I found there is an annoying bug in ROME 2 at the moment where in the late game food production goes mad and removes that element from the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

I just bought the Bundle :D

Im installing the older ones on my laptop now,
    I'll put the newer ones on my new computer when it arrives :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

You definitely cant go wrong with that bundle. Has pretty much all the TW games and an absolute steal as well. Also the option to pick up Attila at 66% should you want. Prepare to lose hours of your life to those games.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have a fair amount of them on Steam, but Rome II I do not have anymore.

Think I'll pick this up from the HB sale. I heard the game was a bit ropey on release, played a fair bit on my Da's account(hes made for Total war games) is Rome very much better now?

My favourite period in the series, and seeing that Spartan addon has me intrigued :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sportstar583

Medieval 2 was my favorite. I enjoyed them all though :)

• Advertisement

Medieval 2 was my favorite. I enjoyed them all though :)

Nothing like a crusade once things have settled down at home.

Advertisement