Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardgames for Beginners

Options
  • 12-12-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

What board games would you recommend to a beginner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Risk, last night on earth, zombies, any of the D&D boardgames.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ilikesleeves

Are you looking to play with groups of friends who are also beginners or more experienced? Have you any specific leanings towards sci-fi, fantasy,etc?

I've recently gotten back into boardgaming and have been blown away by all the great games out there. Some great games for beginners would be Pandemic, Settlers of Catan, Arabian Nights, Cosmic Encounter.

Check out shutupandsitdown.com for great reviews of games

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

If you're a beginner, you might be best off starting with a couple of shorter, simpler games, getting a hang of the rules and then moving on.

Ticket to Ride
    Pandemic
    Catan
    Love Letter (really quick and good replay-ability value)
    Camel Up

• Registered Users Posts: 34 InTheMidst

Thanks everyone for the recommendations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

I'm looking at buying a board game for my brother in law and his wife for Christmas and I'm looking for a game they can play 2 player but also with more players.

As far as board games go they have played Catan and Dominion so something like that would be great. I've looked at Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Ticket To Ride and Risk. Has anyone any thoughts on those games or have any other suggestions? Any help appreciated, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

Pandemic and Forbidden Island are great but not so much with 2 players. Ticket to ride is great with 2.
    I would also recommend Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep which work well with 2 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

InTheMidst wrote: »
    What board games would you recommend to a beginner?

CAtan
    Carcasonne
    Ticket to ride
    Stone Age

Are all good beginner boardgames.
    If yiur not sure which one,check out the playthroughs on youtube.

I ended up going for a board game called Jamaica. Has anyone played it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I ended up going for a board game called Jamaica. Has anyone played it?

Watched a few reviews on it in the past ,but I never played it. Always liked the look of it and hope to play it/get a copy of it someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Love Letter
    Guillotine
    Risk
    Ticket To Ride
    Carcassonne
    Fluxx
    The Resistance: Avalon

• Advertisement

Watched a few reviews on it in the past ,but I never played it. Always liked the look of it and hope to play it/get a copy of it someday.

I'll let you know what it's like!

Advertisement