Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring a beech tabletop

Options
  • 12-12-2015 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi all, as above I need to re coat my table with something to take the faded look off it. Few years after I bought it, the furniture guy delivered other stuff to me and gave me some type of wax from a large tin, he scooped it with a spoon and applied it with a cloth and some elbow grease. It came up like brand new with little effort.
    These guys have since disappeared and I have no idea what type of wax product this was. It was a very light brownish color and easy to apply. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Would it have being this http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/briwax-clear-wax-400gm/24480/2.21.0.4 you can get it in different colors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Coloured waxes are available in various brands but for beech I'd think a neutral wax would look better.Its worth investing in a polishing brush which attaches to cordless drill and takes the hardship out of buffing the finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP Look for Natural Creamy Bees Wax or Natural Creamed Bees Wax. Its the sort of product you described and will do what you require. The Briwax clear linked to in the second post may be a bees wax but Briwax also sell Natural Creamed Bees Wax which is what I'd recommend. The advantage of a natural product is that you can keep putting it on and on and on to build up the finish you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Thanks for replys lads, yeah, I had something like that in mind after a bit of googling. I'll probably go with the natural beeswax type you suggested. The wax used originally came out of a 5litre tin, dont think there was a makers name on it. Probably a trade bucket. I'll let you know how I go.

Advertisement