Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touring with a 4x4

Options
  • 12-12-2015 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Based on a question in the best trip thread
    SeamusG97 wrote: »
    How do you get on with a 4wd and tent in general? . I'm sure many would like to know.

For anyone whose interested.
    2003 Toyota Landcruiser - 4 man tent (Urban Escape Nantai)
    We've been on the continent 6 times with it now, and get better at it each time. Tent is up in 20 minutes and is plenty big for the 2 of us. I've been gathering stuff to make the packing better, and modular tubs mean that unpacking and packing again is very quick too. From arriving on site to heading for the pool takes less than an hour. We have a 40l 240v fridge which works great, and a 12v cooler for the road. We also bring a full 2 burner barbecue, because there's so much room in the back. Just over 2 and a half tanks of diesel gets us to Perpignan or Nice including crossing the UK (visiting family in Brighton)

Packed

IMAG0787_zpsd1nk7ohr.jpg

Damp in Narbonne!

IMAG0995_zpsr9cyxshs.jpg

As I see it:

Advantages: fast on the road, cheap on the ferry, extremely comfortable to drive, ease of travel about the towns and places we stay without a huge van, off road trails- some stunning places, can tow a big trailer (which we had to do going to Monaco a couple of years back), plenty of storage for wine

Disadvantages: less comfort in a tent, having to completely pack up to move sites, have to book a hotel to sleep over on the way, no personal toilet/shower' not fun if the weather turns nasty

Some of the disadvantages are game changers for others, but it works for us as the jeep is my daily drive, so very little extra expense at the outset.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭shovel

Nice pictures.
    Think it would only suit two people,but saying that I saw a landrover disco with a tent on top. two adults and two kids in that setup
    Any chance of a picture showing the tent at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Great idea & execution. Have been thinking of this for my sons jeep (Rav4). Sort of micro-camper! How do you fare for the toilet? Do you use a chemical one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

We just use the toilet blocks on campsites, tend not to wild camp. Will throw a few pics up later after work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

The tent is a decent size, and quite versatile. Depending on the pitch, we can set it up oriented in any one of 3 ways. The home made awning is detachable and easily set up between 2 trees with bungees.

371783.jpg

In this site up in the alps, with the doorway faced forward, the back of the jeep can be reversed right up to the door/ canopy when it's lifted. And a couple of bungees to the roof bars and it's like an extension, just open on one side. Very handy for loading/unloading in the rain. No pic of that set up I'm afraid as it rained for 3 days solid there so we left....

371784.jpg

I'd love to have the top quality gear, but the prices are seriously prohibitive here. And making stuff is fun. I'd agree on it being a set up made for 2 people, as the amount of stuff we bring would be almost impossible with back seats in. Perhaps with a flat roof rack, the boxes could go up there... But definitely more awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

The awning is a great idea. Very versatile. 👍

• Advertisement
Advertisement