Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If my brain starts to deteriorate in some way, what happens to the atoms?

Options
  • 12-12-2015 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

For example if parts of my brain get damaged and I end up getting holes in my brain or something (hypothetical - I don't have any issues)

Where do the atoms that would have made up that part of my brain go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

euser1984 wrote: »
    For example if parts of my brain get damaged and I end up getting holes in my brain or something (hypothetical - I don't have any issues)

Where do the atoms that would have made up that part of my brain go?
    It might help if you think of your brain being composed of cells rather than atoms. When tissue gets damaged, brain included, it generally involves cell death. Dead cells are generally "recycled" by the immune system, so in theory, the atoms/molecules of which the dead cells were composed are put to use elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Patches_OB

See - First Law of Thermodynamics :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Patches_OB wrote: »
    See - First Law of Thermodynamics :P

Think entropy is more what he has in mind...........

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

The atoms that make up the molecules, which make up the parts of the neurons, that make up the brain for the most part don't get replaced after damage. Unlike your other organs. The damaged part won't go anywhere, just hang about in your skull until you die and the worms eat you.

If you're talking about a gunshot or brain surgery for example, then the removed brain tissue will be binned and decompose (eaten by bacteria) or burnt and turned in to carbon dioxide (eaten by plants) and a bit of ash (plant roots, or bacteria again). Then those bacteria will eventually end up inside plants, the plants inside another animal (human, cow etc.) and then the cycle continues. The atoms themselves don't break down, thought they will swap outer shell electrons occasionally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

fleet wrote: »
    The atoms that make up the molecules, which make up the parts of the neurons, that make up the brain for the most part don't get replaced after damage. Unlike your other organs. The damaged part won't go anywhere, just hang about in your skull until you die and the worms eat you.

They don't necessarily hang around in our skulls- we have quite reasonable recycling systems. Yes, we may not regenerate brain cells- but we don't necessarily accumulate dead cells in our skulls as they degenerate.

phagocytosis is the process whereby phagocytes remove dead/damaged neurons from our brains- and recycle them into our systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Granted, I was referring more to the damaged but still living parts.

I think the OP was referring to the bits that ended up on the pavement or stainless surgeons tray though :)

Advertisement