Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMIT Student's Union?

Options
  • 11-12-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

i'm a 1st year student in gmit and i don't get the point of the students union.

they say they help students with any problems that arise but from what i'v seen and heard theyr'e only interested in having a good time and not involving themselves in fixing any serious issues. for example, the bad wi fi etc. does anybody know how much of our fees go into funding them? or has anybody went to them with a problem and got it resolved? is it any better in other colleges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

dietguru wrote: »

they say they help students with any problems that arise but from what i'v seen and heard theyr'e only interested in having a good time and not involving themselves in fixing any serious issues. for example, the bad wi fi etc. does anybody know how much of our fees go into funding them? or has anybody went to them with a problem and got it resolved? is it any better in other colleges?

Just like every other college. Nothing new here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Run for student council & make that change yourself ;) :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Moved from AH to GMIT. Pleasae read their charter before posting. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Have you asked them to do anything about the wifi?

Students Unions who help students with problems or issues wouldnt generally be broadcasting about casework for confidentiality reasons.

When I was a student union officer we did many many things; Reversed college decisions on academic change, helped students with poor lecturers to get them replaced, assisted with crisis pregnancies, assisted with unfair evictions, assisted students to set up and run clubs and societies, ran campaigns both in the college and within national campaigns, successfully lobbied for vastly improved facilities, assisted with immigration problems, assisted students thrown out of home because they came out, assisted in getting improved representation in campus accommodation. Thats just a start.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dietguru

Have you asked them to do anything about the wifi?

i raised the problem with my class rep and he said he mentioned it to them. havn't heard anything about it since though.

and why is there website 2 years out of date? it still has 'class reps 2013/ 14' and 'clubs and societies 2013/ 14' on it. would it not save them time in dealing with enquiries if it was at least updated once a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I never had a major problem with wifi in their, there are a couple of places it drops but its not that bad. SU were completely irrelevant in my four years in GMIT. Nothing they 'did' made the remotest difference to my experience in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can only speak to the one time I personally interacted with SU and the Business department (with regards to a very poor standard of lecturer) and the two parties were absolutely useless. Like they made no effort whatsoever between them. GMIT can promote itself as a great college all it wants but that left a really sour taste in my mouth considering how much they make off us a year.

Can only speak to the one time I personally interacted with SU and the Business department (with regards to a very poor standard of lecturer) and the two parties were absolutely useless. Like they made no effort whatsoever between them. GMIT can promote itself as a great college all it wants but that left a really sour taste in my mouth considering how much they make off us a year.

i know someone who was in the exact same situation as you were, but this was with the college of tourism and arts and they had the exact same thoughts as you had.

straight from their facebook page:

"GMIT Students' Union Class Rep Council have voted unanimously to join lecturers on a strike this Wednesday February 3rd."

aren't they mighty. :$ first i'v heard of a class rep council, presumably this is all the class reps put together. and i thought the class reps were supposed to represent our views to the student's union, clearly not as this is the first i'v heard of it.

Advertisement