Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace my Astec panel?

Options
  • 11-12-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm intending to upgrade my fully-wired Astec system to include a few wireless devices. I'm told that Astec have gone out of business.

So can I simply replace my Astec panel with somebody else's? Or do I have to replace all the sensor devices as well, to match whatever new panel I get?

Hoping for guidance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your best bet would be to replace the panel with GSD i70.
    This will give you the benefit of wireless and free apps while keeping your wired sensorssensors and contacts.
    You would need to replace any Astec PiRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 urbanInquirer

Thanks, I'll look into that, KoolKid

Thanks, I'll look into that, KoolKid

OK, I've looked at the GSD website, where they say that all certified GSD installers are listed. Not a single one!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Let me know where you are located.
    I'll put you onto some close by. Or give them a call.
    I'll get onto them about upgrading theirtheir site.
    There are plenty installing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭friedcircuits

Astec were bought by HKC. No support or replacements for a long time. I'd upgrade with UTC ATS1000 or indeed a HKC 10/70, both have hard wired and wireless capabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm intending to upgrade my fully-wired Astec system to include a few wireless devices. I'm told that Astec have gone out of business.

So can I simply replace my Astec panel with somebody else's? Or do I have to replace all the sensor devices as well, to match whatever new panel I get?

Hoping for guidance

I would recommend upgrading the entire system to a HKC Securewave system. We install them all the time and they're extremely reliable and will suit your needs for years to come. Depending on how old your original system is, the sensors are more than likely on the way out and could be problemsome in the near future.

Thanks fredfunk & friedcircuits (& KoolKid earlier & by PM).

I think I've now got four strands of advice going, so I'll have to take some time comparing and pricing. Maybe I'll add the final decision to this thread.

All praise to this forum for offering plenty of ideas!

After a few quotes I decided on an HKC system with GSM-SC dialler - it was all installed very quickly. It allows me to use an app on my smartphone, very useful for remote control and remote viewing of system information. I also get text and voice messages if the alarm goes off (but the voice messages seem to be very delayed).

(Been a few alarms caused by the dog jumping up against the front door - retraining required!)

If the app stops working (out of range of data-service and internet), I can still arm/disarm remotely by text. Because this involves sending my code in each text, this could be a security risk if I didn't have a suitably protected smartphone.

I haven't had the new system long enough to be able to rate it. But already the remote facilities have made a great deal of difference.

I forgot to mention the keyfob controllers which are part of the system - these allow set/part-set/unset within radio range of the panel. Useful to avoid having to rush to the keypad to stop the alarm!

But there's a problem I hadn't foreseen - I keep sitting on the keyfob and arming the system by mistake.

I think you can set up the fob so you have to enter a code on it.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    I think you can set up the fob so you have toto enter a code on it.

Actually no, in this case. There is an option "CodeUnset" which can require entry of a code to UNSET/DISARM (in accordance with the EuroNorm). But there does not seem to be any option to require a code for SET/ARM.

Part of the reason for having the keyfob was to be able to arm without having to remember the code, so I'm going to have to dress differently!

Incidentally, KoolKid, many of your postings seem to include a repeated word - is this a special security code to guarantee the authenticity of the message? ;-)

No. Its an annoying thing my phone keeps doing.:confused:

Advertisement