Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unprovoked attack

• 11-12-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭

Boards is great for answers to something you are curious about.

A few day ago a story came in on my news feed about an unprovoked attack on a cyclist in Dundrum by two drunk men and by all accounts it was a savage attack, now the men did not know the victim it was not a row or anything like that.

In your opinion what causes unprovoked attacks like that, Is the person born with an aggressive personality?, is it a mixture of nature and nurturer? how does alcohol physiologically change the person and make them aggressive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

people are still apes at a base level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Drink can release the inner scumbag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

you can't say it was unprovoked if the victims were cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Two drunk men beat a cycles?

Edit, OP correct their post now... fun's over folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

RHJ wrote: »

But not everyone is violent and aggressive and remember it was an impersonal attack they did not know the victim.

Also what need is being met or what satisfaction is there in kicking and beating someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I've been "jumped" twice in what were completely unprovoked incidents. They didn't want money or anything, just to be violent and try to beat the **** into me. One definitely wasn't drunk and anyway the drink is a complete red herring imo. If you're going out doing that, there's something wrong deep down regardless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

biko wrote: »
    Two drunk men beat a cycles?

I think he meant to say cyclops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Says you Mr. Science Man but down here we don't believe in that type of heresy.

We ain't related to no monkeys. My cousin ain't no orangutan. My Daddy ain't no rhesus monkey. My brother ain't no white-headed capuchin. My sister ain't no baboon.... well that's a bad example there cause she actually is part baboon but I stand by the rest of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

c_man wrote: »
    I've been "jumped" twice in what were completely unprovoked incidents. They didn't want money or anything, just to be violent and try to beat the **** into me. One definitely wasn't drunk and anyway the drink is a complete red herring imo. If you're going out doing that, there's something wrong deep down regardless.

So you would go with they are psychopaths theory? probable born like that. Although they had previous convictions for violent offences they had normal lives one was an engineering student and one was an apprentice elicitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

This will end well ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I think he meant to say cyclops.

It's tough being a cyclops these days. You'd nearly want eyes in the back of your head...

(Sorry, sorry... :o )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

And so the unproved theories begin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

mariaalice wrote: »
    So you would go with they are psychopaths theory? probable born like that. Although they had previous convictions for violent offences they had normal lives one was an engineering student and one was an apprentice elicitation.

Why not? Most psychopaths lead perfectly normal lives. They do not all turn out like Jeffrey Dahmer or John Wayne Gacy.

Though I would have to argue that convictions for violent offences are not part and parcel of a normal lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

c_man wrote: »

I agree with you. I know there are plenty of incidents where drink has exacerbated a perceived slight and made violence seem like a reasonable response but I don't believe it's the huge exacerbater (word?) in unprovoked assaults that people think it is. Yeah, they're drunk when they do it but I've drunk with hundreds of people and nobody has ever suggested attacking a random passerby when I've drunk with them and it's not that I don't know anyone with violent tendencies. I think there are people who actively drink to enable their bad behavior and kind of excuse it, it's all a smokescreen to satisfy their sadistic tendencies coupled with a bit of mob mentality from the stragglers. It's rare that you read or hear that someone was so drunk they attacked a passing group of fully grown men. It's always multiple people attacking smaller groups or people on their own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

so is your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

FYP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Scumbags gonna scumbag.

An unfortunate trait of our modern society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Jealousy and spite are generally the front runners in seemingly unprovoked attacks (and mindless vandalism).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Is this the first time anyone has ever been beaten up in Dundrum? The most horrific thing I've ever seen up there has been the prices in House of Fraser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

There's two sides to every story.

I've seen Ray Darcy cycling around Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

people are still apes at a base level

There's probably a very thin line between being civilised and savage. Certain people can revert back to savage behaviour in a split second when they blow their top. Notice how a human will instinctively reach for the neck or go for the head or chest, these are the areas they can inflict the most harm.

For those few seconds the person is a wild animal, their rage overrides their conscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ronnie Pickering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

There's probably a very thin line between being civilised and savage. Certain people can revert back to savage behaviour in a split second when they blow their top. Notice how a human will instinctively reach for the neck or go for the head or chest, these are the areas they can inflict the most harm.

For those few seconds the person is a wild animal, their rage overrides their conscience.

yeah throw alcohol in the mix and we are like that evolution picture of ape morphing into man in stages...only going in reverse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    It's rare that you read or hear that someone was so drunk they attacked a passing group of fully grown men.
    Because the person shall claim to be the victim....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Ronnie Pickering.

Who?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

lukesmom wrote: »
    Drink can release the inner scumbag.

Absolutely, but even without the drink, sooner or later the inner scumbag is released with these people. If it was not after a few pints, it would most likely manifest itself in other ways such as being violent when stressed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Lack of parental guidance, lack of punishment from the state, lack of fear of repurcussions and then add in genuine, age old assholeness.

Its not because were apes, plenty of other apes the world over do not live in societies that are so quick to use violence. We must be one of the few nations that allows people to commit crime by hurting and taking from decent working tax payers and then continues to use that tax money to supplement said scumbags lifestyle while simultaniously using it as an excuse for his behaviour.

I dont avocate a 3 strike system but at the very least punish people. Yu get a parking ticket, it hurts your pocket. A scumbag robs someone and it has no impact on their pocket. Wheres the justice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Here. This. It's past time to abandon thinking that looks at human actions from some imaginary perspective of sanctity/evil. There is no "deserve" about these attacks. Look at the basic roots of animal aggression and you won't be far wrong explaining these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

you can't say it was unprovoked if the victims were cyclists.
    I don't think it's a stupid comment. But it would depend on your definition of provoke.

This is 2 on google
    A- stimulate or give rise to (a reaction or emotion, typically a strong or unwelcome one) in someone.
    B- deliberately make (someone) annoyed or angry.

So I would not say it was deliberate, but if looking at A I would not call them beating a cyclist as unprovoked. The fact someone is on a bike most certainly can give rise to an unwelcome reaction in many people.

I have had stones thrown at me, and heard of numerous attacks which I can only put down to being on a bicycle. I have been in taxis with drivers bragging and laughing about deliberately passing out cyclists really closely to scare them.

Lots of scum out there and there is a definite prejudice against cyclists, just look at any thread about them. In years gone by these braindead bigots might have been openly sexist, or out gay bashing, but lots of people frown upon that, even their scumbag mates, so they need someone to vent their pent up frustration on.

Advertisement