Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Village for Christmas Decoration

Options
  • 11-12-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am very slowly building up the pieces of the winter village to create a Christmas decoration (that's how I'm justifying it anyway).
    Something I want to build each Christmas, eventually hoping to create a family tradition.

If anyone knows where I can find any of the below, would really appreciate the help (any prices I see online are exorbitant):

10173 Holiday Train
    10216 Winter Village Bakery
    10229 Winter Village Cottage
    10235 Winter Village Market
    10222 Winter Village Post Office

Thanks for any help,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm doing the same thing. Luckily I hadn't gotten around to buying Winter Toy Shop before the rerelease. Bricklink is probably your best bet. Although I did get a decent price on Winter cottage on EBay.

These sets are actually a really decent case for bricklinking (buying the individual bricks as opposed to whole sets). I've to cost it properly, but a rough estimate says I'll save. Stickers are expensive though. I'm also wondering what Lego will do next year. The uncertainty has definitely affected prices. Also, now is an awful time to buy. Wait till the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's going to be a very expensive endeavour to get all of those unless you get seriously lucky and find a seller that doesn't know what they're worth. I had to source the individual pieces to build the holiday train and I still spent in excess of €200 (closer to €300 when you add in the track, because it runs on the older 9v track system which was replaced by battery-powered years ago). It has a lot of rare pieces. That said, you could save on budget by getting colour substitutions for some of the rarer parts, if you're not a purist.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Thanks lads, appreciate the advice

Necronomicon - where did you go to source the individual pieces?
    Would consider looking into it alright

Cheers

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

I bought a new 10229 on eBay a few months back, opened and sorted the pieces the other day, will build over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thanks lads, appreciate the advice

Necronomicon - where did you go to source the individual pieces?
    Would consider looking into it alright

Cheers

Rob

www.bricklink.com

Warning: there is quite a learning curve to gathering all pieces individually. The biggest challenge is not getting killed on shipping by getting pieces from as few vendors as possible. I once put together a guide on Bricklink projects on this very forum - though the website has gotten an overhaul so it's a little dated. Still, I think the broad strokes are the same.

There are also programs out there like Brick Wizard that will help you to source vendors economically. I used this in the mid-to-late stages of the Holiday Train project (there are too many rare pieces to have used it from the outset - basically no possible vendor combinations).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I have all these but would not sell. Certainly not on the cheap as they cost me a lot. They do make a lovely xmas scene. The wee gingerbread house fits well.

Advertisement