Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Repair Recommendation Please

Options
  • 11-12-2015 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all,

We have a fujitsu laptop that is about 3 years old. It's operating off Windows 7. From the outset it was very slow. My girlfriend just got fed up of it and asked for a new one for her birthday, so I obliged with a special offer I availed of in a local store.

However, we still have the fujitsu, and I want to try to fix up the older laptop and give it to my Dad who just needs a PC for his favourite websites ("at the races) he lives on it!

Can anyone recommend a genuine and capable laptop repair outlet. We live in county Kildare, but will travel to someone that is actually skilled at laptop repair.

We gave it to a sham merchant that just ran some malware and charged €100. I need to find a decent outfit that can either do a job or tell you that the job can't be done, rather than just charging because they are supposed I.T. experts.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If there's no data you want off it you can run the factory reset and see if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

If you don't need anything that's on it, have you tried just resetting it to factory defaults yourself? This will wipe the laptop and install everything on it like the day it came out of the factory. It's not complicated to do and will save yourself a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭odeamarcas

Thanks, I'm going to try the factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Google the model and how to do a factory reset. Should be a guide online.

I'd be pretty certain this will make the laptop run sweet again. Hopefully give your old man some luck with the GG's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭odeamarcas

Factory reset is complete and my fingers crossed, thanks a mill for the advice....why didn't I talk to you guys before I went and bought another laptop...duuuh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Win 8 has 'factory reset' built into it but not Win 7 (unless the utility was added by the manufacturer)

OP you would be best using a copy of Win 7 on dvd and performing a fresh install on newly created partitions. If you have no dvd then you might be lucky enough to have a recovery partition on the hdd.

If it was Win 8 you could just hit reset as Win 8 machines usually have a copy of the OS sitting in flash RAM on the motherboard. If your machine is slow but works it's not broken, just needs attention.

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Win 8 has 'factory reset' built into it but not Win 7 (unless the utility was added by the manufacturer)

OP you would be best using a copy of Win 7 on dvd and performing a fresh install on newly created partitions. If you have no dvd then you might be lucky enough to have a recovery partition on the hdd.

If it was Win 8 you could just hit reset as Win 8 machines usually have a copy of the OS sitting in flash RAM on the motherboard. If your machine is slow but works it's not broken, just needs attention.

From the OP's last post they have already reset the machine.

mordeith wrote: »
    From the OP's last post they have already reset the machine.

That post didn't exist when I decided to weigh in, pretty obvious from the time stamps :)

That post didn't exist when I decided to weigh in, pretty obvious from the time stamps :)

Must be an anomaly somewhere. Stamps I see show you posted seven minutes later?

lol am I not allowed to start a post, leave machine to answer technical question from the boss then come back to my seat and finish the post?

Anyway, his post wasn't there when I decided to weigh in, get over it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Often happens, post is still being written by poster while the previous post was posted. It can take 7 minutes to write a post if you take your time you know.

lol am I not allowed to start a post, leave machine to answer technical question from the boss then come back to my seat and finish the post?

Anyway, his post wasn't there when I decided to weigh in, get over it :pac:

Alright, came down. Jeez.

Alright, came down. Jeez.

I'm quite calm, it's Friday after all :D

I'm quite calm, it's Friday after all :D

Very true, and I'm off today as well! (Hmm, maybe that's the problem ...)

Advertisement