Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone successfully predicted the future?

Options
  • 11-12-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭

History is littered with people who make predictions about the future with complete certainty. We all know of the many who were proved wrong and those who are so vague that their predictions can be interpreted as whatever is convenient, like Nostradamus.
    But has anyone made a verifiable prediction about the future that has come to pass. And I'm not talking about the "I'll be broke by January" type.

Phenomena such as the Telegraph D-Day crossword incident , the book, "Wreck of the Titan", which bares striking similarities to the Titanic story and people like John Elfreth Watkins etc, can be logically explained. Has anyone ever verifiably made specific predictions that came true?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Dimitrov

The letter 'e' will appear in post #6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I predict this thread will be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I won't be getting the ride this eeeeevening

damn, wasn't post six

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I predict we are in for some god awful weather in the very near future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Blrgh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

o

Too quick, too slow, story of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I predicted Axl Rose would come on stage late at the Point in 2010. Nostrawho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

There was that episode of The Lone Gunmen (xfiles spin-off) that predicted 9/11 down to a tee in March 2001
    http://youtu.be/9rsMG2hHsLo

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's just educated guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hitler mentioned there would be problems after the signing of the treaty of versaille

So he foretold the future by creating it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

No further than statistics will allow due to random convergence and alike. Take Nostradamus. If you write crap loads of none specific stuff people will claim to find correlation and only after the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

You'll be site banned tomorrow for posting a picture of a nudey women!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well I can tell you now that 5 numbers between 1-50 will be drawn in tomorrows Euro Millions .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Build a thread and they will come ....

to blast it with ahhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I predicted that someone would post a question asking if anyone has predicted the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

The post below mine will mention kangaroos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Kangaroos

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I predicted 9-11, problem was, I phoned up MI-6 and they warned the CIA to watch out for November 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭valoren

I bought an "iPod" in August 2004. Duly impressed, I told family that Apple are going to be HUGE! One of the biggest companies in the world huge!!

Amount Invested in Apple shares: $0
    Return on Investment in Apple shares: $0

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

vandriver wrote: »
    The post below mine will mention kangaroos
    vandriver wrote: »
    Kangaroos

Defo had two tabs open to post simultaneously. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I predict a Back to the Future reference in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

valoren wrote: »
    I bought an "iPod" in August 2004. Duly impressed, I told family that Apple are going to be HUGE! One of the biggest companies in the world huge!!

Amount Invested in Apple shares: $0
    Return on Investment in Apple shares: $0

:(

Like China huge?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My wife said to me last weekend that if I came home late from the pub she could see big trouble in our house.

I came home very late and she was right, there was big trouble in our house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Has anyone successfully predicted the future?

Hell yeah, there's lots of soothsayers down the local bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

The James Randi Educational Foundation Million Dollar Challenge basically offerred $1000000 to anyone who could prove they had psychic abilities, and a number of others have offered different sums. To date none of them have been successfully claimed. Since James Randi has recently retired, his challenge has now been withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

bpmurray wrote: »
    The James Randi Educational Foundation Million Dollar Challenge basically offerred $1000000 to anyone who could prove they had psychic abilities, and a number of others have offered different sums. To date none of them have been successfully claimed. Since James Randi has recently retired, his challenge has now been withdrawn.

I read that as the terms for taking the challenge having changed but the challenge itself remaining open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Cleve Cartmill wrote a story called Deadline during WW2 that resulted in the FBI investigating him thinking there had been a security leak from Los Almos
    So thats an example of somebody successfully predicting the hidden present.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

I was once flat hunting with my then girlfriend. I had a dream one night that the flat we were going to see the next day would have a bar in it. Nothing fancy just a home bar kind of thing.

Went to see the flat the next day and there actually was a bar in it! Thankfully I had told her this beforehand so she was as surprised as I was to see it.

We did not take the flat, we are no longer together.

Pretty sure if we had taken the flat I would be rich and famous now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Engineers do it all the time. They use scientific methods to work out how something will behave. It's stranger when they get it wrong than when they get it right.

Advertisement