Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp Site Hosting on my own hosting account

Options
  • 10-12-2015 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭

I’m not quite sure how to explain this in a jargon you guy’s will understand. I’m a novice.

I currently have a domain and hosting account with a live holding page.

I have a 2nd website under development but not hosted yet.

I’m hoping to collaborate with a 3rd party company on a project and they have asked me to send them a link to my 2nd site to see if they are happy with the layout etc.

Can this 2nd site be hosted on my existing domains hosting account, like maybe in a Sub folder so that it can be linked to by the 3rd party company to view? Or how can I make it that they can view it temporarily?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Talk to your hosting company, you can usually setup a folder for another domain or a sub domain (e.g. site2.yoursite.com).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Create a separate folder for your new site, and put everything under there. If your customer only wants to look at it, they'll be happy to go to mysite.ie/SeparateFolder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Depends on what you are using. A sub-folder could be pain to migrate out if it's using some thing like WordPress or other framework in which case a domain or subdomain would be less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bpmurray wrote: »
    Create a separate folder for your new site, and put everything under there. If your customer only wants to look at it, they'll be happy to go to mysite.ie/SeparateFolder

I tried that and it doesn't seem to work, it returns the following
    The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

As your hosting company's support team.
    Maybe some settings for your main site at mysite.ie are impacting mysite.ie/SeparateFolder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

Depends on your service provider. I have a very basic hosting package with a local ISP and I can host multiple sites under my account. It would be just a matter of registering a new domain (or sub-domain).

Folders on an existing domain is usually messy and you should try to avoid that.

If you need help, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ikoonman wrote: »
    Depends on your service provider. I have a very basic hosting package with a local ISP and I can host multiple sites under my account. It would be just a matter of registering a new domain (or sub-domain).

Folders on an existing domain is usually messy and you should try to avoid that.

If you need help, PM me.

Thanks for the offer to PM you ikoonman, it's much appreciated :)

I don't want to have to purchase a new domain name simply to give the other guy's temporary access so I'm going to look at a Sub-domain.

I said at the outset that I was a novice at this and I wasn't joking :D

Something you said in your post just lit a lightbulb in my silly head :o

I was using FTP to get to my site and creating a new folder to which I upped the Temp site to but I couldn't navigate to it, but when you mentioned "Registering a new Sub-domain" I decided to look through my hosting's control panel & I just realised I might need to actually create a new Sub-domain through that first?

Then I will need to probably add hosting to that Sub-domain and finally go and manually create a folder for that Sub-domain within my original currently hosted domain name & up the Temp site files to that?

I might then be able to navigate to it using

mysite.ie/subdomain_name

Am I even anywhere near the mark?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks for the offer to PM you ikoonman, it's much appreciated :)

I don't want to have to purchase a new domain name simply to give the other guy's temporary access so I'm going to look at a Sub-domain.

I said at the outset that I was a novice at this and I wasn't joking :D

Something you said in your post just lit a lightbulb in my silly head :o

I was using FTP to get to my site and creating a new folder to which I upped the Temp site to but I couldn't navigate to it, but when you mentioned "Registering a new Sub-domain" I decided to look through my hosting's control panel & I just realised I might need to actually create a new Sub-domain through that first?

Then I will need to probably add hosting to that Sub-domain and finally go and manually create a folder for that Sub-domain within my original currently hosted domain name & up the Temp site files to that?

I might then be able to navigate to it using

mysite.ie/subdomain_name

Am I even anywhere near the mark?

If you've set everything up properly, your second site (on the subdomain) should be visible at subdomain_name.mysite.ie

You might find that the new folder is created with your subdomain, alternatively you will create a new folder and point the new subdomain to that folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

I suppose it depends on what features your hosting package offer. I know with mine, if I create a sub-domain (www.acme.org) on an existing domain (test.acme.org), it would be configured as a seperate site, and not as a sub-folder.

There may be a few caveats and this is best discussing this with your hosting support team if you are unsure what you can do with your current subscription.

Advertisement