Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas gift for the genealogist?

Options
  • 10-12-2015 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Any ideas, less than 30€?

For myself, I'm thinking of buying a portable scanner? Any particular brand/make that anyone has used and can recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Decent phone camera and capture app is better than any portable scanner these days. Can also use it on items you can't realistically scan such as hefty books.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I looked at portable scanners but decided in the end just to use my phone camera. If any one wants to give me a present, I'd like 32euro or whatever multiple of 4euro so I could buy more copies in the GRO! Wonder would they do gift vouchers?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If anyone can find the marriage of John O'Neill and Anne Green it would make a great present for a friend of mine.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

KildareFan wrote: »
    I looked at portable scanners but decided in the end just to use my phone camera. If any one wants to give me a present, I'd like 32euro or whatever multiple of 4euro so I could buy more copies in the GRO! Wonder would they do gift vouchers?

Yes I like it! Excellent gift voucher if available.

Up to now I have used my phone or dedicated camera. I have difficulties sometimes in taking pix of large documents ie deeds. Taking a pic of a framed glass photo also presents difficulties with reflections & shine. Often, these photos are hanging up in really dark rooms which doesn't make it any easier:) I'm not sure if a handheld scanner would do any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Can you actually get a portable scanner for €30!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I saw a magnifying glass in Lidl this week, €6.99. I think most genealogists will have to use one at some stage or other. I have mine for several years now and I wouldn't be without it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think a month's sub to Rootsireland or Irish News Archive would be a good present under €30 for someone who doesn't habitually maintain subs for those sites.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Great ideas! thanks.

Advertisement