Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Mondays @ Vicar St - 10th & 11th, December 2015

Options
  • 10-12-2015 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭

Apologies if already a thread.

Just heading off and see from an Aiken tweet Bez is ill and can't attend.

Dammit! Was looking forward to seeing Bez more than any of the others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Does he do anything musically in the band though, apart from Tamobrines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

How very dare you!

Ah in fairness now, Bez adds a huge amount of atmosphere to their gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aw that's a pity. It won't look the same without Bez busting some moves on stage. :(

At least it shouldn't affect the music though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

According to facebook Bez should be back in action tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭lc180

I went to see Happy Mondays in Leopardstown a couple years ago. Great gig but I was there with a Spanish work colleague of mine who never heard of the band before and I had to try and explain who Bez was and what his important role in the band was. Hah the look of pure confusion on his little Spanish head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mcdonut

What time did the gig start at/and what time was it over last night?Hoping to make it later this evening.

Thanks

According to facebook Bez should be back in action tonight

SWEET!!

https://twitter.com/aikenpromotions/status/675301201362186240

Was a class gig last night but wasn't intending of going twice. Am now though!

Never seen so many standing on the floor at Vicar St. Could barely move and the majority of the seats were left empty downstairs and a lots upstairs. I think people just came to dance and so had no intention of using their allocated seats if they had any. Standing can be sold for upstairs at Vicar St too (not sure if there was for last night though) and nothing stopping those people from just not bothering to go upstairs to stand and standing downstairs instead. Wasn't a major deal but it sure made for a tight squeeze.
    lc180 wrote: »
    Hah the look of pure confusion on his little Spanish head!

Can imagine :p It's just not something anyone can put into words is it. Be like if Angus left the school uniform at home maybe.
    mcdonut wrote: »
    What time did the gig start at/and what time was it over last night? Hoping to make it later this evening.

I went in around 9:20pm as had heard they were due on around 9:30pm and I think they came on around 9:40pm and finished around 10:45pm. Have to say though, I find their setlist order strange as they do some numbers at the start and middle that they would be far better off finishing with. Hallelujah and Wrote for Luck has been their encore for so many gigs. I'd prefer Kinky Afro to close out the show but sure that's just personal choice.

Really felt like a 90's gig. Think it was the dated stage lighting. Really added to the atmosphere I thought. As close to a musical time machine as you're gonna get. Going be class with Bez and a Friday night crowd. Leave the skin tights in the wardrobe! Have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

they came on around 9:40pm and finished around 10:45pm.
    So they only played for just over an hour?

F*ck that

Billy Mays wrote: »
    So they only played for just over an hour?

F*ck that

Well, if for fans of their music ‎€35 is not bad for an hour or so of their best tunes.

Hopefully they will play longer tonight but I'm just hoping it's as good and if it is, I won't be complaining.

It's not always about quantity.

It's the Pills Thrills & Bellyaches anniversary tour.

I'm happy enough to hear the album and a couple of other songs from that time like WFL and Hallelujah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

So on stage tonight about half 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I'm a Mondays fan myself but any headline band playing for little over an hour is piss poor in my opinion (unless it's a new band that don't have the material).

They've enough of a back catalogue that they could stretch it out to 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I'm a Mondays fan myself but any headline band playing for little over an hour is piss poor in my opinion (unless it's a new band that don't have the material).

They've enough of a back catalogue that they could stretch it out to 90 minutes.

Agreed ...

Really enjoyed last night's show. Full of messy old people though. That said, they weren't doing any harm, just messy.

It was great to hear all the old songs again. Funnily enough Shaun kept saying that they were going to come back out and play Bummed. I think even he was aware that it was a relatively short set, but as I said earlier it was the anniversary of PT&B so I was happy out hearing all the songs from the album.

I must be getting old though, my ears are still ringing! :)

Yeah, awful lot of messers where we were and so we moved position a few times. Shaun's mic sounded much different last night also. On Thursday I could hear everything he said but last night I struggled to and his vocals were low also. Overall though it was another great gig. Bez is a legend. Chap has the energy of a 19 year old. Heard he was refused entry to the Garage Bar around 11:15. Anyone go to his DJ set at the Workman's later on? Would have went but I was wrecked and so went home. Seems a long time since I partied in a field in Thurles all night after seeing them at Trip 2 Tipp '91, Pills, Thrills playing on our double deck. Them were the days.

irelandfest_1991.jpg

"The Arm"? Should that be The Farm?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    "The Arm"? Should that be The Farm?

Good spot. Yeah, defo was The Farm alright :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bolloxology

No Bez No Monday's.
    Should be a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RastaRed

Anyone go to his DJ set at the Workman's later on? Would have went but I was wrecked and so went home

It was top banana man, gig was deadly, on top form, after party with bez djing(he wasn't really😉just doin his thing)was just as good, the real dj was unreal, madchester, joy division, new order, oasis and kasabian till 3.30, best night out I've had in yonks

RastaRed wrote: »
    It was top banana man, gig was deadly, on top form, after party with bez djing(he wasn't really😉just doin his thing)was just as good, the real dj was unreal, madchester, joy division, new order, oasis and kasabian till 3.30, best night out I've had in yonks

Ah, sorry I missed it so. Sounded like a night alright. Bez is a legend.

One of my favourite TV moments of all time involved Bez. It was on Celebrity Big Brother when Sylvester Stallone's mother, Jackie, thought Bez was telling her that he a bounty hunter :p

It's at the 4m44sec mark.

• Advertisement
Advertisement