Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

experimental bird apartheid in my garden

Options
  • 10-12-2015 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Due to huge numbers of Goldfinch, I moved my feeders so they are much further apart and have Nijer on one and Peanut on the other. Instant success with the Goldfinch heading for the Nijer and the "others" increasing in number straight away. I also hung some coconut halves and they were instantly fed on, the Robin being very keen.

(Following advice on here, I took the bags away on the Fat Balls.)

28vyjrs.jpg
    r08r9s.jpg

Poor pics I'm afraid and some of the Goldfinches haven't taken the new rules on board yet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I did similar many years ago as Rooks and Jackdaws were taking over the feeding stations. I put bread at the farther reaches of the garden and moved seed and nut feeders plus bird tables closer to the house. Instant segregation and increased numbers of smaller birds to the feeders and ground scattered seed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I do suffer the attentions of Crows (I guess they are Rooks....don't know the difference) and Magpies. I try to discourage them, but they need to feed too I guess. I thought of doing as you did, but I thought I'd attract more of them and there are hundreds of them around here

Oh dear they aren't getting the hang of this at all

wrl820.jpg

Over twenty still picking up the debris of the storms!

e7e51g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Nyger is so expensive! I stopped feeding it in winter 2010. I do sunflower hearts only these days

Nyger is so expensive! I stopped feeding it in winter 2010. I do sunflower hearts only these days

I actually find the sunflower hearts go quicker than the Nijer and thus are dearer. Stopping both for a while until the weather gets cold and replacing with cheaper and less popular seed mix. (worth the cost for the 36+ Goldfinches on and around my feeder all day)

• Advertisement
Advertisement