Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste plates and cutlery at the canteen in work

Options
  • 09-12-2015 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a croissant in the canteen at work today . I don't usually use the canteen as I bring my own food but was stuck today . The croissant was subsidized and cost only a euro with a small butter and a jam . I was served it on a Styrofoam plate and given a plastic knife .

As I was eating it I began to think that just for my to have one croissant and for the company to earn 1 euro the environment seemed to be paying a high price ; 1 plastic knife , 1 Styrofoam plate , 2 paper napkins , a mini butter foil wrapper and plastic mini jam thing all dumped into one black bin bag with all the waste food and whatever else from the canteen .All other people using the canteen were getting the same plates and cutlery for their meals .I am assuming everything in that black bag goes to landfill .

I don't really have a point in posting this . I'm just wondering if other people think that its a lot of trash created just so one man can have a pastry ?Is this a common set up in work canteens in this day and age ? I'm going to mention it at the next meeting but I don't have a lot of influence .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

Surely they should be using normal ceramic plates as is common..can't see many being stolen in a works canteen or is it open to the general public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Its probably cheaper to use styrofoam plates and plastic cutlery rather than buy ceramic dishes and metal cutlery and wash them after each use.

Saving the cost of buying the items in the first place and saving the cost of collecting them, loading the dishwasher, water and detergent for washing them, unloading the dishwasher, putting them away, breakages, loss (people in my current job are forever accidently binning metal forks/spoons), etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I do a lot of work in company canteens and almost never see throwaway cutlery unless people request it for takeaway.

That does seem a shocking waste, I don't understand why styrofoam is still used as it's non-degradable and non-recyclable and there are paper based alternatives. It's also a horrible experience to eat/drink with.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

Is it actually Styrofoam or a fully biodegradable lookalike which i think do exist..dont know what the cost difference would be between the 3 (use of styrofoam, use of biodegrable plates, washing/drying ceramics) but would be an interesting study for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Its probably cheaper to use styrofoam plates and plastic cutlery rather than buy ceramic dishes and metal cutlery and wash them after each use.

Saving the cost of buying the items in the first place and saving the cost of collecting them, loading the dishwasher, water and detergent for washing them, unloading the dishwasher, putting them away, breakages, loss (people in my current job are forever accidently binning metal forks/spoons), etc..

More likely it's pure laziness on behalf of the company.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    More likely it's pure laziness on behalf of the company.

Yeah maybe, but the budgets tend to be tight in subsidised work canteens so it may be economic. Maybe they don't want the expense of buying one of those industrial dishwashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Yeah maybe, but the budgets tend to be tight in subsidised work canteens so it may be economic. Maybe they don't want the expense of buying one of those industrial dishwashers.
    Maybe, but they must be paying a fortune for their waste collection service.

There's a subsidised canteen where I work and it's fully stocked with proper plates, cutlery, etc.

OP, I suggest you attempt to do a cost-benefit analysis, even if its only a rough one, and present it to the powers-that-be. They may be surprised how much they can save by changing their habits.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Maybe, but they must be paying a fortune for their waste collection service.

There's a subsidised canteen where I work and it's fully stocked with proper plates, cutlery, etc.

You know the waste disposal may be free if they are operating in a place with a bailer.

Yes, agree on the bolded, same here, but in the last place there were no mugs in the canteen, only styrofoam cups and the reason was that it was cheaper than stocking and washing mugs as people would use a few daily.

Advertisement