Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trousers to pair with men's Velvet Dinner Jacket

Options
  • 09-12-2015 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for suggestions on what trousers can get paired with this?

Standard seems to be black, but I wear that for work alot so fancy a change.
    Thinking dark grey/charcoal.

White shirt and dickie bow underneath.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Tricky one. As far as I know the velvet dinner jacket is considered an alternative to a tuxedo. Being evening wear then surely the only 'correct' colour for trousers would be black? Could be tricky if your trousers are a darker or lighter shade than the jacket as you'll end up with what looks like a mismatched suit. Definitely black shoes though - this is no time for casual footwear.

What colour is the jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

What colour is the dinner jacket? It is usually worn as part of formal ware so it would be traditional to wear black pants. However I have seen people wearing dinner jackets with lighter coloured pants and it has looked great it would depend on the situation however.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is velvet still in fashion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If it's for a formal event you need to stick within the confines of evening wear, so tuxedo trousers (ie with the satin facing stripe on the side seams), with black slim shoes. White shirt and black bowtie (preferably self tie) will seal it.

If you just wear normal black suit trousers it looks like an accident rather than a intentional decision to change up things and wear velvet.

Velvet is already a statement in evening wear, don't muddy the waters any more.

You could go grey/ charcoal but be very careful. The first option on this page is a good one, but it does need the cummerbund to finish it. Otherwise it looses all it's formality.

• Advertisement

I'd actually say those are black tux trousers, but next to the deepness of the black velvet they look lighter.

I'd actually say those are black tux trousers, but next to the deepness of the black velvet they look lighter.

Its possible, but in the context of the picture (and the example being given), they look grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Its possible, but in the context of the picture (and the example being given), they look grey.

I'm on the fence about this. I actually like the look of the grey trousers with the jacket but it's definitely more of a 'fashion-forward' look.Odd trousers work with a sports jacket but pairing them with what is essentially a tuxedo jacket seems a weird mix-up of formalities.

Tbh OP, most people get through their whole lives without ever wearing black tie so if you like the grey trousers I say go for it. 99.9% of people aren't even going to know the rules, let alone say anything to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MomOfThree1980

The dark gray may look nice with it. I like the first one suggested as well. :)

Overall I would've said ditch the velvet jacket - maybe if it were a rich blue it would have more of a kitsch factor. A "regular" tailored tux is going to look so much better than something thrown together just to match a jacket.

But if you have to wear it, I think you've got some decent advice here. Try a few things and go with what looks best.

• Advertisement

I really disagree. Velvet is a complete classic look for black tie and it's everywhere this season- it's perfect for winter and Christmas time. The absolute easiest and most foolproof way to do it is simply to swap out your usual dinner jacket but leave everything else the same- tuxedo trousers, cummerbund or waistcoat, white dress shirt, cuff links, black shoes, bow tie, etc. Because it's still seen as s bit "out there" for guys you need to keep the rest classic.

Advertisement