Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART fine

Options
  • 08-12-2015 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Before you read this, I'd like you to know I'm aware I'm in the wrong and will pay the fine. I'm just wondering about something.
    Today I did not pay for a ticket from Glenageary to Dalkey. At Dalkey station a ticket inspector asked for my ticket to which I said I do not have one. I gave fake details to which none of my friends answered there phone to confirm so in the end I just came clean etc. Now I've never been fined before but I thought the fixed fine was 100. Can they give a 202.20 fine for that? Again I'm aware Im in the wrong just want to know is that a thing now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Fine is usually €100 plus the fare due.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/fixedpenaltydlleaflet1.pdf?v=grhucpe

There is an appeals mechanism available. The office can clarify the details of your particular offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DiarmAFC

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Fine is usually €100 plus the fare due.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/fixedpenaltydlleaflet1.pdf?v=grhucpe

There is an appeals mechanism available. The office can clarify the details of your particular offence.

That's what I found out on the internet. I feel like they added it on for the initial fake details but surely 100e extra is a bit excessive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a weirdly specific figure. i assume the fare you should have paid was €2.20?
    was the fine confirmed to you in writing?

it's a weirdly specific figure. i assume the fare you should have paid was €2.20?
    was the fine confirmed to you in writing?

Yes the fare I should have paid was 2.20
    Yes its confirmed in writing also

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

DiarmAFC wrote: »
    Before you read this, I'd like you to know I'm aware I'm in the wrong and will pay the fine. I'm just wondering about something.
    Today I did not pay for a ticket from Glenageary to Dalkey. At Dalkey station a ticket inspector asked for my ticket to which I said I do not have one. I gave fake details to which none of my friends answered there phone to confirm so in the end I just came clean etc. Now I've never been fined before but I thought the fixed fine was 100. Can they give a 202.20 fine for that? Again I'm aware Im in the wrong just want to know is that a thing now?

Slightly OT, but I've never seen a ticket inspector on the DART before. Didn't even know they existed. Loads of times on the LUAS and intercity trains though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

That's what I found out on the internet. I feel like they added it on for the initial fake details but surely 100e extra is a bit excessive

Failure to give your details when asked is a criminal offence as well as fare evasion and on it's own it can lead to a prosecution in court. The fixed penalty notice you received should state if you were hit for it as well; by the sounds of things you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Wow could have taken 20 taxi journeys between the two stations for that amount!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

It looks like a misprint.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It looks like a misprint.

Its no misprint:(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are different offences under different acts. Giving false details probably made something else kick in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

Victor wrote: »
    There are different offences under different acts. Giving false details probably made something else kick in.

As well it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its 100 euro + fare due for fare evasion
    Giving false details is a further 100 euro

Failure to pay in full will result in a trip to court, 1000 euro and/or 3 months jail time on both counts

Advertisement