Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Defence - afs or casualty?

Options
  • 08-12-2015 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Currently a recruit with the Waterford City Civil Defence and I'm not sure whether to join the afs or casualty service. The afs is a bit of a put off because they don't do much but train apparently and rarely get duties. If anyone has any insight or opinions that would be helpful, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Harry Bosch.

Currently a recruit with the Waterford City Civil Defence and I'm not sure whether to join the afs or casualty service. The afs is a bit of a put off because they don't do much but train apparently and rarely get duties. If anyone has any insight or opinions that would be helpful, thanks!
    Find out what duties / events both units attend. Who has the greater resources and training,what is the availibility of courses etc. I spent time in the AFS in Dublin and was lucky to get an Emergency Medical First Responder qualification. I also recieved driver and water awareness courses. We provided both fire cover and ambulance cover at swims, races, car races, sporting events etc. We had a lot of members from Dublin Fire Brigade so were spoilt. See what will benefit you and the unit the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I paraded with one of the Dublin AFS units for 2 years and never even got a first aid certificate.

Slightly off topic but why is there so much rivalry between the dublin sub units?

Advertisement