Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be a good reason to cancel a contract?

Options
  • 08-12-2015 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Lack of to no signal at home.(Unsure if missing calls or not).
    Lack of signal/signal dropping completely/slow data speed to none at all(travelling home).
    Previously being over charged for roaming data(if it worked).
    Data Roaming not working at all.(Lost in England on the weekend due to no Data Roaming).

I am 12 months into a 24 month contract. Bills between €70 and €100 a month, yet not happy with the service I'm receiving.

On a side note, I requested a network unlock code, received 3 separate unlock codes of which none of them worked. Network said the handset would need to be sent away for 2 weeks, which is beyond reasonable. At least with my phone unlocked I could use a Uk SIM.

I would be happy to give the phone back also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Arbie

I successfully cancelled mid-contract with Meteor in 2010 as I had such poor reception at work. There was no hassle, just took 1 phone call, but I may just have been lucky.

In 2011, my OH switched to 3 but had bad reception at home and was able to cancel after a month. It took a few calls but was fairly straight forward.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Most of the service providers won't guarantee a signal indoors, there are just too many variables within buildings for them to contend with.

For example, in my own house I have very poor mobile signal (from two different providers, one of which I work for), but in my back garden, literally a yard from the back door, I have full bar 4G signal. That simply cannot be a mast issue, and must be an issue localised to my house, so there's nothing can be done about it (unless you go the Vodafone Sure Signal route, which utilises your WiFi to provide a 3G signal to specific named Vodafone numbers within the range of the device).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Signal is just as bad in the back garden, and the general area is patchy. Yes, in the town itself signal is good, but 4G isn't available in my town. Also, where I live it's close to the countryside(I live in an estate), so not much need to put a cell in an area of people population.

Meteor are throwing the "cannot guarantee indoor service" which at this day and age is not feasible. maybe 15 years ago, but not today. I'm not in an underground bunker, just a 3 bed semi.

Customer Care stated last night that there is no signal indoors, and only 2G outside. Yet, there webpage shows excellent 3G signal in my area.

If they cannot guarantee indoor signal, then how can I get full 3G in the local pub, yet not in my house. That would suggest my house is build from lead, or they should be offering better signal to cover for those indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Meteor are throwing the "cannot guarantee indoor service" which at this day and age is not feasible. maybe 15 years ago, but not today. I'm not in an underground bunker, just a 3 bed semi.

Customer Care stated last night that there is no signal indoors, and only 2G outside. Yet, there webpage shows excellent 3G signal in my area.

If they cannot guarantee indoor signal, then how can I get full 3G in the local pub, yet not in my house. That would suggest my house is build from lead, or they should be offering better signal to cover for those indoors.

Well, all new builds are insulated to the hilt. An almost all insulation slabs are aluminium foil backed. That definitely will influence any radio signals.

• Advertisement

It would suggest then, that their tower isn't capable of giving enough signal. I live less than a kilometer from the nearest tower, which actually holds cells for numerous mobile companies, yet Meteor isn't that good. How close is close enough, indoors, to receive signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I successfully extracted myself from a contract with 02 in 2008 on the basis that I was getting no reception at home. Sure you can go to an area with good reception to make calls (within reason - I wouldn't consider outside as within reason, not with our climate) but that's just half the service, you can't choose where you receive calls in the main unless they're pre-arranged.

I could have relied on a plethora of missed calls going to voicemail as evidence of lack of coverage if they had disputed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Mattyking

lack of signal is a big problem, I just get my money back from Samsung when I found it lose signal sometimes, it caused me missed several important calls.

Advertisement