Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling offense tips?

Options
  • 07-12-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Pardon what I am sure will be several stupid questions. I am an American who discovered hurling through my local club three years ago, and I think it is the greatest sport ever conceived by humankind, hyperbole aside.

I play on the half forward line, usually in the center. Because I am obsessed, I am in the midst of running and lifting weights more than I have ever in my life, I want to fly past everyone at the start of the season. Playing wall ball has caused many people to ask what this strange sport is, I wish it was more well known here!

I am doing this all solo, while I am playing wall ball I try to imagine that I am faking out defenders, but no matter how vivid my imagination is, I know it is not close to having a real defender trying to block or hook me.

What has happened, and will probably continue to happen, is if I am being covered in a game I tend to try a 'fade' shot over my defender. Rather than running to the goal, I will try to point over them. I played lacrosse in high school, and I think it is hard to break the habit of trying to fake out defenders by moving side to side, much like you would do in American Football or Rugby, a rapid change of direction will fool many people. I can point pretty well running towards either sideline. But people have started to anticipate I will try to backpedal and shoot over them, so they try to block it.

Essentially my question is this- are there any tips or tricks that people use to remind themselves to solo/take their steps towards the goal? When I get the ball I often try to use my 4 steps+stick+second 4 steps to fake my defender out by running horizontally a lot, but not actually moving towards goal. I don't know why that is my default habit. I try to mentally repeat that I am supposed to be driving towards the 'goal' (I'll start way out from the wall I use, take a few steps and hit towards the wall), but I feel like the minute I step on the pitch for real I will fall back into my comfort zone.

I try to watch Senior County games, but it is like watching an entirely different sport.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

best of luck to you, sounds like you have a real enthusiasm for it.

The main thing is practice. And whatever about the weights and the running, if you cant hit a ball on the run, it's pointless being the Usain Bolt of your team. Make sure you keep doing plenty of ball work.

As for any tips, one small skill/tip you could try is soloing with your strong (will assume right hand) hand on the hurl. As you near a defender, put your left hand on the hurl, and throw the ball off the hurl as if you are going to give a handpass with your right hand to your team mate. But instead, keep the ball, sell the dummy, and go forward. It should mean both you and your team mate are now through together.

https://youtu.be/0LSaxqOzEbw?t=237

if you see this goal here, and as much as it sickens me as a Wexford man to highlight this goal, but DJ Carey was a master at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stlcards87

Thank you very much for the reply, that little trick looks awesome! I will make sure to hit the wall often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Another thing is not to always handle the sliotar after rising it, but to keep it on the hurley until you get to your opponent.
    you then essentially have another catch to go by him with...

modern hurling is all about attacking the shoulder, getting by the player and then striking off a shortened grip or handpass to a better placed team mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Try watching clips instead of watching games its probably easier as you can study it more. Watch players like John Mullane, Eddie Brennan and probably the best to watch, DJ Carey. They were all brilliant at scoring.

Heres a good clip of Mullane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tM3A6RnbCo .

Maybe to improve scoring go down to the pitch in your free time and practice hitting the ball over the bar on the run. A wall is great but its mainly for first touch and power striking. Thats not to say dont stop at using the wall.

For gym work try work on agility and footwork by using ladders

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=293Gsuaecgo

Another way around a defender!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Trained Monkey

Here is something I try to use...
    When you get the ball in your hand and the defender is coming at you from the side, hold your hurley so that the bas is visible over your shoulder, leave it there for a split second as if you are going to strike the ball. Lots of defenders will think you are going to strike and move in to hook the bas of your hurl, (they move in behind you instead of getting between you and the goal).

After setting the bait and turning the defender into your trailer, head off on a solo run and hopefully use your speed to get away and get your shot off. Can open up defenses and create chances for goals for team mates when used properly.

Also if you get the ball in a standing position and the defender is coming towards you, pretend you are striking by committing to a big back swing but get your feet ready to move. The defender will commit to the block but you will be a step ahead and shimmy around him as he wont be able to change direction as he is hurtling in for a block. While he is floundering is the time to make yards and you can open up 5/10 yards of space.

Advertisement