Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endoscopy

Options
  • 07-12-2015 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

Soon enough I will have to go through this procedure and I'm VERY scared. Of course I will choose to go with sedation, but I have a question:

I've heard that the sedation won't put you to sleep completely. So will I have the feeling of throwing up during the procedure?

Some people say that they put you to sleep completely and some don't. I don't know which one is right. I ask that because I have Emetophobia (which is the fear of throwing up). That's why I am so scared of doing this procedure.

Hope you can help! Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

You'll get sedation to take the edge off it, but you won't be fully asleep. You won't remember very much about it afterwards, if that's any help.

Perhaps talk to the doctor who is administering the sedation - they may be able to give you a little bit more. In the past when I have had scopes, if I haven't been fully quiet, they've topped me up. Also, it might be worth discussing this with your GP also - they may be able to give you something that could ease your nerves.

It's a very quick procedure though - minutes. I had my last scope done without sedation as I couldn't arrange for someone to collect me. There was minimal gagging, and everything was suctioned out anyway.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Had it done without sedation. Not pleasant but doable, plus I could then dress and walk home later . Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Had it done a few times. No issues whatsoever. You can normally be fully sedated if you request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Had it done twice - the first time I think I kicked some staff (didn't really feel anything just the sedation had a weird affect on me) the second time I was getting Endo and Colonoscopy in the same procedure (was a nervous wreck before hand like you OP I have a fear of choking) But I didn't feel a thing with the Endo - (came to during the other procedure but that's another story!)

Try if you can to relax before hand - don't worry the Doctors are professionals and carry out hundreds of these procedures but going into it without being crazily anxious will help too.

It will be over before you know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lookmehere

Tropheus wrote: »
    Had it done a few times. No issues whatsoever. You can normally be fully sedated if you request it.

Oh really? Can you request to be fully sedated? In all clinics you think they do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 lookmehere

Thank you guys for all the replies! It really helped. I will check if I can be fully sedated, at least I won't get nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Did it fully conscious not too long ago. Bit unpleasant, nothing too bad. Taking biopsies was worse than anything else but other than that it wasn't too bad.

Big burp at the end, a giggle with the nurses and away you go to get some toast.

You can request to be sedated and you will remember virtually nothing. Actually even without sedation, they numb the throat so your gag reflex is numbed.
    If you are nervous, go with sedation and you will be absolutely fine. I have had it done both ways and my biggest issue without sedation was trying not to burp. When I had sedation, I remembered nothing of the procedure.
    Try not to worry about it. It's a quick procedure and with sedation you will wake up after it with little or no memory of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I got it done without sedation. I consider myself pretty hardy and I WOULDN'T recommend anyone not being sedated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Had one done not long ago. Got a gurgle and a spray to numb the throat.

Was just very uncomfortable and 45mins in recovery. But it's doable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I've had it done on three occasions, all with sedation, not a bother. A bit of a sore throat afterwards, but nothing much. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Agree with all here, got the first without sedation and would not recomend it.

All others with sedation and they were absolutely fine, you'll remember very little of it.

Advertisement