Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving to Dublin! :_

Options
  • 07-12-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hey guys.

How hard is it to drive to Dublin? Have never driven it before and will be coming from Clare.
    Is there anyway I could manage to avoid the city?
    I have to go to a place called Swords and if I could avoid as much traffic and detours as possible then that would be great.

Don't fancy getting lost in the big schmoke lahk..

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,773 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When you come off the M4 take the M50 northbound and that would avoid the city, if you head off at the end of the M50 and pass the airport you will be next to Swords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ponzook

Hey guys.

How hard is it to drive to Dublin? Have never driven it before and will be coming from Clare.
    I have to go to a place called Swords and if I could avoid as much traffic and detours as possible then that would be great.

Cheers

Did you google Map it, you won't be anywhere near the city. Motorway, M50, M1 the whole way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

ponzook wrote: »
    Did you google Map it, you won't be anywhere near the city. Motor way and M50 the whole way.
    Set up a video account with E-Flow so you don't/can't forget to pay the M50 toll!

Won't cost you anything and you get a bit off the toll while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

If only someone could invent a phone, put an app on it and can it say something crazy like mmmm...got it, maps and then you could input your destination and a voice could direct you to this place...

Jesus Christ man, your from Clare not the 1980's.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Set up a video account with E-Flow so you don't/can't forget to pay the M50 toll!

Won't cost you anything and you get a bit off the toll while you're at it.

You can pay it in advance now :)

OP what time do you have to be in Swords at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

Maybe someone could go with you or bring a map with you, from clare you could go by limerick, Swords is past the airport shouldnt be hard to miss the big blue signage. driving up to the big smoke with the wife tomorro too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If only someone could invent a phone, put an app on it and can it say something crazy like mmmm...got it, maps and then you could input your destination and a voice could direct you to this place...

Most of clare is still in the 80's tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

When you come off the M4 take the M50 northbound and that would avoid the city, if you head off at the end of the M50 and pass the airport you will be next to Swords.

Only he won't be in the M4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Only he won't be in the M4
    If he comes the N6 he will come onto the M4, otherwise M7 then M50. Depends where in Clare he is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Look..
    It's a long long way from Clare to here, its a long long way way from Clare to here, its a long long way, it gets further day by day, its a long long way from Clare to here.
    However, a good sat-nav will show you the shortest route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Half Rhodesian

Sat nav tends to take me half way around the world. Google maps tells me hop on the M7 somewhere in Limerick, onto M50 and finally M1 to swords? Would this sound right folks?
    Can you just motorway it the whole way up?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sat nav tends to take me half way around the world. Google maps tells me hop on the M7 somewhere in Limerick, onto M50 and finally M1 to swords? Would this sound right folks?
    Can you just motorway it the whole way up?

Yes
    Be careful coming off the m50 onto the m1 it turns into five lanes for a short time and there is a lot of lane changing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

All the roads from the whest feed into the M50. Take the M50 northbound. After the Ballymun exit, make sure you are in the far left lanes. They are the lanes for the M1 which head north to the airport & Swords.

Where in Swords are you going OP? It is pretty big and sprawling. That will dictate where you exit the M1.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Constructive posts only -- thank you.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    All the roads from the whest feed into the M50. Take the M50 northbound. After the Ballymun exit, make sure you are in the far left lanes. They are the lanes for the M1 which head north to the airport & Swords.

Where in Swords are you going OP? It is pretty big and sprawling. That will dictate where you exit the M1.

Seatown road.. I take it I can come back home the same way?
    Didn't realize I had the sat nav on my phone.
    It seems ok so make the trip handy enough

Seatown road.. I take it I can come back home the same way?

Easiest route for you so is to come off the M50 in the outside of the two lanes, then merge onto lane three of the five lanes you will end up on (the inner two go to the airport)

Then take exit four, go left at that exit, then straight through the first roundabout, and at the next roundabout get into the outside lane to go right. You'll then be on Seatown road.

There's no parking on Seatown road, but if you do down to the end of it and turn right at the t junction there is plenty of onstreet parking there at €1 per hour.

You can go back the same way then, it's clearly signposted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I was told by a fella in school that wimmins get pregnant from kissing. The soft power of networking for answers! Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Ensure you keep your phone plugged in and charging,Satnavs on phones can be hard on the battery and we don't want your battery going dead on the M7!

The phone will shout at you what lane to stay in closer to Dublin, Just make sure its not on silent. Safe drive OP!.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

From the N7 to the M50N
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.31646,-6.376495,3a,75y,91.5h,86.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX6DRCLYTS5QN5D8czv4WdA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

From the M50 to the M1N
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4105361,-6.2348443,3a,75y,90.64h,79.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXRHCFJaBYG1VifB7-nqRcw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
    Be in the lane behind the metallic people carrier, not the blue van

to get off the M1
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4394444,-6.2081335,3a,75y,4.32h,89.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3-qijdKcrkwTYbH3czKNdg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

You then pass 3 roundabouts to get to the Swords bypass. one at the top of the exit slip, go left
    2 more go straight on.
    at the Swords roundabout you go right at a big roundabout onto adual carriageway.

At the next roundabout, there's traffic lights. You go straight through and the seatown road roundabout is the next one. you go either left or right here depending on what part of Seatown you're headed to .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Stheno wrote: »

There's no parking on Seatown road,

There's free parking on Seatown road.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Woodies are on the Seatown road if it helps

From the N7 to the M50N
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.31646,-6.376495,3a,75y,91.5h,86.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX6DRCLYTS5QN5D8czv4WdA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

From the M50 to the M1N
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4105361,-6.2348443,3a,75y,90.64h,79.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXRHCFJaBYG1VifB7-nqRcw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
    Be in the lane behind the metallic people carrier, not the blue van

to get off the M1
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4394444,-6.2081335,3a,75y,4.32h,89.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3-qijdKcrkwTYbH3czKNdg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

You then pass 3 roundabouts to get to the Swords bypass. one at the top of the exit slip, go left
    2 more go straight on.
    at the Swords roundabout you go right at a big roundabout onto adual carriageway.

At the next roundabout, there's traffic lights. You go straight through and the seatown road roundabout is the next one. you go either left or right here depending on what part of Seatown you're headed to .

This was fantastic carawaystick.. cheers. The drive up looks grand, almost like a straight run really. it seems like you'd have to be an awful dope to go wrong.
    Thanks everyone for the advice. great help yee are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Hey guys.

Cheers
    Just be aware that noone in Dublin knows how to use a 3 lane motorway. Everyone sits in the middle lane and you will be both undertaken and overtaken.

sorry but what about tolls along that route? e-flow or something?

sorry but what about tolls along that route? e-flow or something?

m50 tolls look them up, you can pay them in advance.

Advertisement