Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA or CPA accounting bodies

Options
  • 07-12-2015 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey guys ,
    I'm starting as a trainee accountant with a certified public practice
    Have to register With an accounting body before I start next week .
    Just wondering which one is better the ACCA or CPA .
    And any information is welcome as I'm a bit clueless
    I graduated with a bachelor degree in commerce from NUIG
    So if anyone could help me with like how many exemptions I would have and how many exams would be left and in how many years i could do them and things like that ..
    Any responses would be much appreciated
    Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

ACCA is recognised by the vast majority of employers as being on par with ACA, whereas the same cannot be said for CPA.

This link will tell you what exemptions you currently hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Zenga

Psack wrote: »
    Hey guys ,
    I'm starting as a trainee accountant with a certified public practice
    Have to register With an accounting body before I start next week .
    Just wondering which one is better the ACCA or CPA .
    And any information is welcome as I'm a bit clueless
    I graduated with a bachelor degree in commerce from NUIG
    So if anyone could help me with like how many exemptions I would have and how many exams would be left and in how many years i could do them and things like that ..
    Any responses would be much appreciated
    Thanks a lot

Im working on my ACCA qualification at the minute. For me working in Industry IMO ACCA has a better name than CPA (This is just my opinion im sure some will differ). So I can offer some information on ACCA at least

On Exemptions - Generally with a finance related degree i think you could be exempt from a maximum of (9/14) Exams. But you will need to check this with ACCA before you will know for sure (there is a Dublin Office and they will give you a good idea how many you will get).

On Exams - Assuming you get the maximum 9 exemptions you will have 3 compulsory exams & another 2 exams from a choice of 4 to complete. (5 in total).

On Time - ACCA now hold 4 exam sessions per year. March, June, September & December. You can sit a maximum of 4 exams per session, so if you were mad you could be qualified in as little as 6 months!! Assuming you wanted to have a life, I would say aim for about 1 year should get you qualified with a bit of work (I would suggest attempting P1 & P3 together in one session and then leave P2 on its own if you do go this route).

Finally - To Qualify you need to complete your ethics module (about 3 hours over a computer - best to get it out of the way early doors) & also you will need 3 years experience signed off by a qualified accountant - Not sure how much experience you have??

If you need any more info drop me a PM and il help you any way i can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

aca i'd say best regarded.

between acca and cpa i'd say acca best option. albeit in saying that i know of 3 individuals who in last few years could nt get cpa and ended up getting acca which is a worrying trend for the value of the acca accrediation.

ultimately, i'd recommend doing your own research as naturally you will find there are biases through recommendations

good luck with your studies

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annaP79

Hey

You dnt have too much time to decide but in Dublin Big4 Big 10 experience and ACA is best way to get a well paid good job after training

What qualifications hold people you will be working for / with? go with this one

Be careful with ACCA as currently they are messing around with their exams, changing the format etc. I am not sure if lecturers preparing students for this managed to catch up with the changes yet

Also I am not sure but please check as ACA and CPA might offer 'open book' exams which will greatly reduce stress and silliness :( of learning stuff by heart only to pass exam...

ACCA exams are difficult for 2 main reasons (for P level at least, as mentioned F level exams undergo change)
    1. examiners are allowed to ask vague questions and students are not very sure what is actually being asked
    2. Questions are very lengthy, with not enough time to read

large portion of your studying time will be learning exam technique! and what this has in common with the job you will be doing???..I dnt know, I am doing these exams and I wonder

If ACA or CPA offer sth more meaningful I would go for it

Advertisement